Toffee Mocha Cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
Espresso Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake cups with liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dissolve espresso granules in boiling water; cool.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with espresso mixture and mix well. Fold in toffee bits.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Move the pan to a cooling rack, and let cool for 10 minutes before removing the cupcakes from the pan and letting them finish cooling on the cooling rack.
- To make the frosting: mix the espresso powder into the vanilla until dissolved; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar a little at a time, waiting until it is mostly incorporated before adding more. Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl and increase the speed to medium-high and whip until fluffy, about a minute or two. Add the espresso and vanilla mixture and continue to mix at medium-high until it is completely incorporated, scraping the sides as necessary.
- Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with chocolate chips and toffee bits.
Yields: 16 cupcakes
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com