OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 7th February 2012

19:00 - 20:20 GMT

Agenda & Minutes

final

Present: Richard Weait, Simon Poole, Dermot McNally, Michael Collinson, Oliver Kuehn, Grant Slater (20:13), Steve Coast

Apologies:

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met January 24th for a long-form meeting, (no meeting Jan 31st).

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/169dS6q7FYKjlUxm2vy7CmzIJH9iR7ikHIx2zMDei5uI/edit?authkey=CKyR1KgG

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Richard

Accepted

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms_Summary
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright and friends in Sept 20th minutes. Addition: Pay attention to Poland UMP-pcPL project
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes) Ongoing
  • Oliver - to contact Osnabruck City council to clarify if Council/donor has OK’d ODbL for Frida project import. (done - council now agrees to support the new license. However, import was done by Ulf Lamping, who refuses to accept the new CTs)
  • Henk - Japan argath import. Ask if it could go now.?
  • Mike - Organise supplementary documents wanted by South Africa CD-NGI (done)
  • Mike - Improve UMP acknowledgement on our website. (done)
  • Grant - UMP addition to http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright, implement in Rails code: “More about OSM’s use of UMP data can be found here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UMP2OSM_Importing”
  • Mike - Make sure responding to German-language decliner mailings on a future agenda so that it gets done.
  • Dermot to draft an English-language decliner skeleton for possibly sending to other countries. (done by Richard)

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. Feb 1st OSMF Management meeting

OSMF board re-iterates its commitment to achieving the final license change-over by 1st April.

This was an important meeting for LWG to create momentum for the recruitment of technical volunteers and the generation, testing and execution of the final rebuild process. While some technical concern was expressed

  • LWG will continue diplomatic work on resolving any issues with big contributors/exports, particularly in Poland and Czech Republic
  • LWG will focus on contact-then-remap campaigns to reduce the amount of problematic nodes, ways, relations to a minimum.
  • A community rebuild team will create and perform the final re-build process, most likely over the weekend 31st March - 1st April. The rebuild team is already functioning and communicates in public via the “rebuild” mailing list. Some budget may be required for this and attending board members were supportive and agreeable in principle.

5. OSM Czech Republic / pavel

Petr Morávek has sent LWG a list of who did what and has also got explicit OK from them, (except pavel), to continue using the data.

Unless valid objections are received, LWG will now ask that the 152 changesets [1] be marked as clean, so that Czech mappers can begin contact-and-remap

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quick_History_Service/Changeset_Lists#Pavel_imports_in_Czech_Republic

5. OSM Poland

The LWG is concerned about progress in resolving whether we could continue using UMP-pcPL data and will contact concerned parties. The LWG hopes that agreement can be given that existing integrated data, (but not new data), can can continue to be published either under any free and open license, (best long term solution from OSM’s perspective as it is compatible with our CTs) or specifically under ODbL, (may be more attractive to UMP as there are no future unknowns).

6 Database contact and re-map

Global picture: No updated node/highway ownership stats this week, this depends on monthly history planet dump [1]. Nodes that will likely not survive the license change are down 3M from 32.2M to 29.2M [2].

[1] Based on node count, http://odbl.poole.ch/

[2] "Nodes Created" http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/munin.html 

  • Community has accepted that critical mass has been reached with the proviso that this is as measured by the WTFE algorithmn and that it should be valid when it comes to actual rebuild.
  • LWG has responded by adopting the WTFE as the formal basis for writing rebuild scripts and urging that tests be run first and that the results be published, prefereably in the form of a test map.
  • Global Contact-then-remap campaign launched 2012-02-04 via osm-talk posting and subsequent blog. Details at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Remapping/Contact_And_Remap_Campaign.
  • Posting to Announce mailing list will be done after today’s “Night OF the Living Maps” Mike

Dermot presented the technical options for the final rebuild. Frederik’s approach does not require a “big bang”. Key issues:

  • Code risk
  • Data loss risk
  • Reversibility by re-processing history with high but not complete degree of accuracy.

7. Splits and Merges

We propose not to attempt any special treatment for splits or merges. Splits are difficult to reliably process and merges even more so. The overall percentage of data affected is negligible, and any mapper feeling that his or her IP is being inappropriately retained will be accommodated.

8. Osnabruck City/Frida import

Oliver has contact Osnabruck City council to clarify if Council/donor has OK’d ODbL for Frida project import.  Council/Frida team agrees to support the new license. However, import was done by Ulf Lamping, who refuses to accept the new CTs. We need to ask if he would be OK with transferring or marking them clean. Oliver

AOB

- Countries where data collections is not officially allowed (China, India, …)

- Wikipedia WIKI loves monuments competition and geocoding

Simon reported that he has been asked by a local Wikimedia person if would we like to cooperate more closely with Wikimedia for their next WIKI loves monuments competition (http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu/). If we want to present ourselves as a viable alternative to Google for this and similar activities we need to clearly state (for example in a community guideline) how we view geocoding based on OSM derived maps. Right now in the case of WIKI loves monuments it would probably qualify as  a "Substantial part of the Contents".

We were unable to discuss this and will agenda it for a future meeting.

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Feb 14th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET