Thai Fried Bananas
Enough as a snack for 4-6 people
Published and copyrighted by shesimmers.com
One pound of of peeled bananas
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons rice flour (or 50% rice flour and 50% all-purpose flour for heartier crust)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut (or fresh very finely-grated coconut or frozen grated coconut, thawed)
3/4 cup clear limestone solution or 3/4 cup water with 1.5 teaspoons baking soda mixed in
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon of untoasted white sesame seeds
About 4 cups of mild vegetable oil for frying
- Slice the bananas lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices; set aside.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients, except the oil.
- In a medium frying pan or heavy-bottomed pot, heat up the oil to about 350° F. Keep the temperature steady.
- Put the banana slices into the batter. Pick up one slice at a time, making sure it's thoroughly coated with the batter, and carefully lower it into the hot oil. Don't fry too many slices of banana at the same time as it will cause the oil temperature to drop too low resulting in soggy, oily fried bananas.
- Flip the banana pieces as necessary to achieve even browning.
- Once the banana slices are golden brown, remove them to a plate lined with a piece of paper towel.
- Serve immediately.