Orange Glazed Strawberry Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with fit the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream. Pour into the flour mixture and mix on low speed until blended. Add the strawberries and mix until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a counter top and shape into an 8-inch circle.
- With a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk together the remaining egg and 2 tablespoons of milk and brush the scones with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are light brown. Place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, make the powdered sugar glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and orange juice together until smooth. When scones are cool, Drizzle over each scone and allow to dry before serving.
Yields: 8 scones
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com