IB Transcription & Translation Notes
Transcription & Gene Expression (2.7 & 7.2):
- How does DNA & RNA compare?
- Describe what determines the mRNA code
- What is the role of Nucleosomes in eukaryotes?
- In what direction is transcription carried out:
- What happens to mRNA after transcription in Eukaryotic cells?
- What do codons of three bases on mRNA correspond to & why is this important?
- How do the Sense & Anti Sense DNA Strands compare?
- Outline the steps of transcription:
- What increases the number of different proteins?
- What regulates gene expression?
- How does the environment of a cell and of an organism impact gene expression?
- Describe the role of a promoter.
Translation (2.7 & 7.3) Part I:
- How does translation depend on codons & anti-codons?
- Outline the structure of a ribosome
- Identify where proteins would be used from free-floating ribosomes and ER bound ribosomes:
- In what direction does translation occur?
- Describe the steps of initiation, elongation & termination of translation
- Describe the process of synthesis of a protein (polypeptide).
- Describe the termination of translation.
Translation (2.7 & 7.3) Part II:
- Describe polypeptide primary structure:
- Describe polypeptide secondary structure:
- Describe polypeptide tertiary structure:
- Describe polypeptide quaternary structure:
- Explain the role of tRNA- activating enzymes and how specific amino acids are coupled
to specific tRNA molecules: