Students 158 RECRUITER ACCESS TO STUDENTS
RECRUITER ACCESS TO STUDENTS
Military recruiters or institutions of higher learning, or any other agency or business, in an attempt to recruit students shall have access to high school students, their names, addresses, and telephone numbers unless the student or the parent or legal guardian of the student requests that such information not be released without prior written parental consent. The District shall notify parents of the option to make such a request and shall comply with all requests received. This notice shall be published and distributed at the start of each school year in the High School Student/Parent Handbook.
The school administrator shall make the determination of when the recruitment meetings are to take place and shall have the authority to deny any such meeting where the holding of such meeting shall materially and substantially interfere with the proper and orderly operation of the school.
The Superintendent shall draft regulations/procedures that are compliant with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) for the implementation of this policy.
RECRUITER ACCESS TO STUDENTS REGULATIONS
Parent and Student Notification
- Parents, legal guardians, and students shall be notified of the District Policy: Students 158 regarding recruiter access to students.
- The Opt-Out Form for non-disclosure of the name of a high school student, address, and telephone listing to military recruiters, institutions of higher learning, and prospective employers shall be contained in the Parent/Student Handbook and distributed to all parents, legal guardians, and students at the start of each school year or on the date of enrollment.
Administrative Response to Requests
- All recruiters shall be required to submit their request in writing to the building level administrator.
- Upon receipt of the written request, the building level administrator shall grant or deny the request in writing.
- The building level administrator may deny requests for recruitment meetings that will materially and substantially interfere with proper and orderly operation of the school.
- A copy of the notice of approval or denial shall be sent to the Superintendent of Schools.
- The building level administrator shall make the determination of when and where approved recruitment meetings are to take place. Recruiting of any kind shall not occur in a manner, time, or location that disrupts classroom instruction.
- The building level administrator shall maintain an accurate listing of the names of students who have returned the Opt-out Form to ensure compliance with parent, legal guardian and adult student’s requests.
- All recruiters shall be required to check in at the main office of the school to obtain a visitor badge each time they are on school property.
Revised from: 12/14/09
First Reading Coordination: 4/9/13
Second Reading and Adoption by BOSC: 4/29/13