Student: Quiz: Taking a Quiz Moodle ISU
The quiz tool in Moodle ISU can be used to assess learning. Sometimes assessments can be titled differently by your instructors; they might be called exams, tests, quizzes, etc. In this guide we will be using the term Quiz. This guide will familiarize you with the quiz taking process in Moodle ISU.
This guide will help you to understand:
- Tips for Quiz Taking Success
- Finding and Taking a Quiz
- Flagging Questions
Tips for Quiz Taking Success
When using Moodle ISU for taking quizzes, here are few tips to help you succeed:
- Use FireFox (DO NOT Use Internet Explorer).
- Use a wired connection.
- Do not use a wireless connection when taking quizzes. If the connection drops you will be locked out of the quiz.
- If you do get locked out of a quiz contact your instructor immediately.
- If you do not see all of the questions or the Submit and finish buttons at the bottom of the quiz screen, please remember to scroll down.
- If the quiz is timed, keep an eye on the time clock. It will remain in the top left of the page as you scroll down and will start turning red as you get close to the time limit. If the time clock runs out your quiz will be automatically submitted and only the answered questions will count toward your grade.
- Also remember that on timed quizzes the timer runs from the time you Click Begin Quiz until the time runs out. Closing the window and/or logging out does not pause the timer.
Finding and Taking a Quiz
- Select the course you wish to access.
- Locate the quiz and Click on it.
- On the next screen you will see the quiz title, description, allowed number of attempts, an open and close date, time limit, and grading method. To start the quiz, Click on Attempt Quiz Now.
Note: Refer to to the Quiz Question Types handout to see the different question types an instructor may use. Also, if you have essay questions, these may take a substantial amount of time. Remember that Moodle ISU will log you out if there is 20 minutes of inactivity.
- A pop-up confirmation window will appear, to start the quiz Select Start attempt.
- At the end of each question page, there will be a Next button to go to the next page. Depending on how the quiz is setup, there can be any number of questions on a page.
Note: The Quiz navigation block, in the top left corner, will show you the questions in the quiz and how much time is remaining on the timer. You move to specific questions in the quiz by clicking on the question number. Be sure to keep an eye on the timer so that you don’t run out of time to complete the quiz.
- After you have finished the quiz, Click Next and you will see a list of all questions, the status of your response, and the time left.
- To Submit your quiz, Click the Submit all and finish button when you are done with the quiz. You will see a prompt telling you that “Once you submit, you will no longer be able to change your answers for this attempt.” Click on Submit all and finish button will submit the quiz for grading. Selecting a quiz question from the box on the left will take you back to the quiz environment. Please note: If you return to the quiz and the timer runs out, only the questions you have answered will count toward your grade.
- After you have submitted your quiz, the review attempt screen will appear. The information provided on this screen is dependant on what information has been released to you by the instructor. For more information about reviewing your quiz attempt please visit our Reviewing Quizzes guide.
Questions can be flagged as you take the quiz by clicking on the flag icon next to the question. There are several reasons why a question may be flagged. These include but are not limited to:
- Flag a question so that you can go back and check your answer before submitting the quiz.
- Flag a question that you want to check for accuracy when reviewing the quiz.
- Flag a question that you want to ask a question about later.
- If the flag is grey, the question is not flagged.
- If the flag is red, the question is flagged.
If you have any additional technology questions, contact the IT Service Desk at 282-HELP (4357). For questions about your course in Moodle please contact your instructor.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.