***Moodle ISU Guides have been relocated to the New Tiger Tracks Site. For up-to-date content please refer to the Knowledge Base.***
Calendar Moodle ISU
Using a calendar in a course can help both the instructor and the students keep track of deadlines and important dates within the course.
This guide will help you to understand:
Adding the Calendar Block
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- In the Navigation Drawer, Locate Add a Block
- From the Add a block pop-up menu, Select Calendar
Note: for more assistance on blocks and how to move them see, Blocks in Moodle ISU
Configuring the Calendar Block
You can modify the configuration of the Calendar block.
- In the top right corner of the block, Click the gear icon
- From the dropdown menu, Select Configure Calendar block
Note: For information on what the other icons do, see Moodle ISU Overview
Calendar Block Settings
- The first line indicates the block’s original location
- Display on page types provides three options of where your calendar will be displayed
- Any page - This will make the calendar display on any page for Moodle ISU when you are logged in.
- Any course page - This will make the calendar available on every page that you have set up within the course.
- Any type of course main page - This will make the calendar available only on the main page for the course. This is also the default setting.
- Default region - This version of Moodle allows for the default region being the right side of the Moodle page
- Default weight - To relocate the block on the screen you can weigh the blocks importance in this area
On this page
- From the Visible dropdown menu, Select Yes or No to determine whether the calendar is visible to students
- From the Region dropdown menu, Select where the calendar will reside on the screen
- From the Weight dropdown menu, Select the weight the calendar will receive
- To relocate the block on the screen, you can weigh the block’s importance in this area.
- The lower the weight, the higher up on the page the block will appear.
- Click Save Changes to save your configurations
The events keys allow you to add certain activities or key dates for the course. The following is a list that breaks down the options and explains when to use each one.
Note: If you click on these events on the main calendar block, they can be hidden or shown to students and users.
Global - Events that are relevant to the university, such as holidays etc.
Course - Events that are relevant to the course in general such as exams or assignments.
Group - Events that are relevant to certain groups within the course.
User - Personal events that will not be visible to other users.
Adding Events to Calendar
- Click on the calendar name
- Click New event in the Calendar view
- On the New event page, Select the type of desired event
- Site - Visible to all participants able to see your calendars.
- Course - Visible to participants on the course in question.
- Type the Event title
- Type a Description
- Set a Date
- Set a duration if so desired
- Choose whether or not this event will repeat in Repeated events
- Click Save changes
For more information on using your calendar, see Calendar
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.