Calendar Moodle ISU
Using a calendar in a course can help both the instructor and the students keep track of deadlines and important dates within the course.
This guide will help you to understand:
- Adding the Calendar Block
- Configure the Calendar Block
- Events Keys
- Adding Events to Calendar
Adding the Calendar Block
- In the Administration block, under Course Administration, Click on Turn Editing On. For more information regarding Turning Editing On, see Moodle ISU Overview guide
- On the left hand side of the screen, find the Add a Block block and Click on the Add dropdown menu.
- Select Calendar from the list and it will appear above the Add a Block block.
Hot Tip: You can move new blocks to wherever you want by turning on editing, Clicking on the 4 way arrow and dragging the block wherever you want.
Configure Calendar Block
You can modify the configuration of the calendar block by Clicking the gear icon and Selecting Configure Calendar block on the dropdown menu. (For information on what the other icons do, please see the Moodle ISU Overview.)
Calendar Block settings
- The first line will tell you the block’s original location.
- Display on Page types will give you 3 options of where your calendar will be displayed.
- Display on Any page This will make the calendar display on any page for Moodle ISU when you are logged in.
- Display on Any course page This will make the calendar available on every page that you have set up within the course.
- Display on Any type of course main page This will make the calendar available only on the main page for the course. This is also the default setting.
- Default region: This option will allow you to place the calendar either on the right or the left of the screen.
- Default weight: To relocate the block on the screen you can weigh the blocks importance in this area.
On This Page
- Select the Visible option you want: This option will allow you to make the calendar visible or invisible to students.
- Select the Region option you want: This option will allow you to select where you want to your calendar to reside on the screen either on the right or the left.
- Select the Weight option you want: To relocate the block on the screen you can weigh the block’s importance in this area. The lower the weight the higher up on the page the block will appear.
- Click the Save Changes button to save your configurations or the Cancel button to cancel the configurations.
The events keys allow you to add certain activities or key dates for the course. The following is a list that breaks down the options and explains when to use each one.
Note: If you click on these events on the main calendar block they can be hidden or shown to students and users.
Global - Events that are relevant to the university, such as holidays etc.
Course - Events that are relevant to the course in general such as exams or assignments.
Group - Events that are relevant to certain groups within the course.
User - Personal events that will not be visible to other users.
Adding Events to Calendar
- You can add a new event to the calendar by Clicking on the calendar name.
- Click New Event button in the Calendar View.
- On the New Event page select the type of desired event.
- User Event: Visible only to the current user logged in.
- Group Event: Visible only to the particular group in the course.
- Course Event: Visible to participants on the course in question.
- Add the event title.
- Add in a description.
- Click Save Changes.
For more information on using your calendar, please see http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Using_Calendar
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.