Calendar Moodle ISU
Using a calendar in a course can help both the instructor and the students keep track of deadlines and important dates within the course.
This guide will help you to understand:
- Adding the Calendar Block
- Configure the Calendar Block
- Events Keys
- Adding Events to Calendar
Adding the Calendar Block
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview.
- On the left hand side of the screen, Locate Add a Block.
- Click Add for the dropdown menu.
- Select Calendar from the list and it will appear above the Add a Block block.
To move blocks:
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview..
- Locate the block you would like to move.
- Click and Hold the perpendicular arrows.
- Drag the block to the space you would like it to occupy.
- Release the cursor.
Configure Calendar Block
You can modify the configuration of the Calendar block.
- In the top right corner of the block, Click the gear icon.
- Select Configure Calendar block from the dropdown menu.
Note: For information on what the other icons do, see Moodle ISU Overview.
Calendar Block settings
- The first line will tell you the block’s original location.
- Display on page types will give you three options of where your calendar will be displayed.
- Any page - This will make the calendar display on any page for Moodle ISU when you are logged in.
- Any course page - This will make the calendar available on every page that you have set up within the course.
- Any type of course main page - This will make the calendar available only on the main page for the course. This is also the default setting.
- Default region - This option will allow you to place the calendar either on the right or the left of the screen.
- Default weight - To relocate the block on the screen you can weigh the blocks importance in this area.
On This Page
- Select the Visible option you want.
- This option will allow you to make the calendar visible or invisible to students.
- Select the Region option you want.
- This option will allow you to Select where you want to your calendar to reside on the screen - either on the right or the left.
- Select the Weight option you want.
- To relocate the block on the screen, you can weigh the block’s importance in this area.
- The lower the weight, the higher up on the page the block will appear.
- Click Save Changes to save your configurations.
The events keys allow you to add certain activities or key dates for the course. The following is a list that breaks down the options and explains when to use each one.
Note: If you click on these events on the main calendar block, they can be hidden or shown to students and users.
Global - Events that are relevant to the university, such as holidays etc.
Course - Events that are relevant to the course in general such as exams or assignments.
Group - Events that are relevant to certain groups within the course.
User - Personal events that will not be visible to other users.
Adding Events to Calendar
- You can add a new event to the calendar by Clicking on the calendar name.
- Click New event in the Calendar view.
- On the New event page, Select the type of desired event.
- User - Visible only to the current user logged in.
- Group - Visible only to the particular group in the course.
- This will enable the Group event dropdown menu from which you’ll Select the group the event is relevant for.
- Course - Visible to participants on the course in question.
- Type the Event title.
- Type a Description.
- Set a Date.
- Set a duration if so desired.
- Choose whether or not this event will repeat in Repeated events.
- Click Save changes.
For more information on using your calendar, see Calendar.
For additional information, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.