Published using Google Docs
20111213 LWG - Meeting Minutes
Updated automatically every 5 minutes

OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 13th December 2011

19:00 - 19:50 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Simon Poole, Richard Weait, Dermot McNally, Henk Hoff, Oliver Kuehn, Michael Collinson, Grant Slater

Apologies: All present

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met December 6th for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Dermot



2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes. Addition: Pay attention to Poland UMP-pcPL project
  • Mike - Recruit a core volunteer technical team to help out with database rebuild (Oct 25 minutes)
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes) Ongoing
  • Richard will draft sub-phases to get us to April 1 2012 license cut-over. 
  • Simon - Is there a Polish OSM forum ? (done)
  • Mike - How active is Polish talk-pl? (done)

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. Bulk mailing

A second set of languages (English to anonymous users and to preference is English, Danish)  has resulted in a nice bump of over 3,000 acceptances and about 30 declines over the last 5 days and still going. As of 8th Dec planet dump *for users with data still in the database*, 47,233 said yes, 315 said no and 51,093 are still undecided (and/or are former anonymous users).

Richard reports there is more to go:

We have volunteers for Swedish, Bahasa Indonesian and Czech and possibly for 3 other languages.

5. Questions from AND on extent of share-alike

Henk forwarded us some questions from AND on share alike and the collective/derivative db with regard to their Dutch and other data contributions. Henk attended this meeting.

6. Poland OSM and UMP-pcPL

Mike reports back that talk-pl is not very active. No administrator. Last activity in July (3 messages) and then 3 months or so before that. Have emailed OSM Polska.

Yes there is a Polish forum, but going to Polish OSM Association may be faster.

7. Database re-build

- Frederik’s OSM Inspector tool released today

- Guidelines for cleaning tainted data.

We would like the community to pass judgement on whether the criteria are acceptable rather than LWG.  We consider that the “official” (evolving) page for these criteria is this and only this page:

LWG will monitor but not get in the way.

- Walking Papers

Not discussed

- Garmin map

Not discussed


Not discussed

- Dynamic Data (Oliver)

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Dec 20th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET