Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Sub-Consultant
Wheeler Planning is an award-winning pedestrian and bicycle planning firm based in Oakland, CA. Rochelle Wheeler is principal and owner of Wheeler Planning. The firm seeks an experienced Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Sub-Consultant to provide part-time services for the countywide bicycle and pedestrian program of the Alameda County Transportation Improvement Authority (ACTIA). This program, supported by sales tax funding authorized by Measure B, seeks to increase bicycling and walking in Alameda County by making these activities safer and more convenient. Wheeler Planning is the prime consultant to ACTIA; the Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Sub-Consultant will report to the prime consultant.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Sub-Consultant contract is 15-20 hours/week, and the sub-consultant would need to co-locate at ACTIA’s offices in downtown Oakland a minimum of two days per week. The responsibilities of the sub-consultant could be negotiated based on the selected candidate’s experience and interests. Wheeler Planning is available to advise the selected sub-consultant on the fairly simple task of establishing him/her-self as an independent consultant, if needed.
- Develop, coordinate and implement promotional and educational programs that promote walking and bicycling in Alameda County, such as a countywide Bike to Work Day advertising campaign and a new multi-faceted pedestrian campaign.
- Research, develop and implement programs, conferences, workshops and other efforts to provide technical bicycle and pedestrian planning and/or engineering assistance to local agency staff.
- Produce clear, relevant, accurate and user-friendly reports and publications, including newsletter articles, fact sheets, news releases, web content and other projects as needed.
- Lead the implementation of a countywide bicycle and pedestrian count data collection project.
- Provide support for updating the Countywide Pedestrian Plan and Countywide Bicycle Plan.
- Lead the tracking and monitoring of local pass-through sales tax funding. Prepare summaries of how funds have been expended.
- Research, analyze and summarize key bicycle and pedestrian data in the county.
- Advocate for and support increased funding for bicycle and pedestrian activity in Alameda County, including writing grants.
- Assist in staffing meetings of ACTIA’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee and the Pedestrian Bicycle Working Group, a forum for public agency staff and nonprofits to advance bicycling and walking in Alameda County. The Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Sub-Consultant may develop agendas, prepare reports, facilitate meetings, and complete follow-up work generated by the meetings.
- Represent ACTIA at local and regional meetings as requested.
- Attend and contribute to working meetings with ACTIA staff and consultants and Wheeler Planning, as requested.
- Other tasks as assigned, up to the available task hours.
- Minimum of two years of directly related experience in bicycle and/or pedestrian planning, advocacy, promotion or educational outreach; or master’s degree in transportation planning, urban planning or related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to write for both planning/engineering professionals and the general public.
- Strong quantitative skills; attentive to detail.
- Demonstrated project management and time management skills.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Willingness to work collaboratively and incorporate constructive feedback. Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to represent a public agency to outside agencies and the public.
- Passionate about increasing bicycling and walking in Alameda County, and making these activities safer and more convenient for the general public.
- Ability to make a commitment through June 30, 2011.
- Marketing or outreach experience a significant plus.
- Knowledge of Alameda County geography, and working relationships with public agency and nonprofit bicycle and pedestrian staff in the county.
- Knowledge of the intersections between public health and bicycling and walking, as well as other transportation modes.
- Knowledge of bicycle and pedestrian funding programs at the local, regional, state and federal levels.
- Writing or project management experience for a bicycle or pedestrian master plan.
- Experience staffing working groups or advisory committees.
- An understanding of the technical needs of local agency staff, engineering standards, and bicycle and pedestrian planning best practices.
Payment for Services
This is a sub-consultant position, and does not include benefits. The sub-contract is scoped at about 700 hours for fiscal year 2010-11, or approximately 0.33 FTE. It begins as soon as possible, preferably no later than August 31, 2010. The contract period extends through June 2011, with the potential to be renewed for additional years. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Sub-consultant must have or obtain general liability insurance.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your experience and qualifications for this sub-consultant contract. You may also include a plan or report you wrote, or a link to where this writing sample may be found online. (You should be the sole author, and the document should not have been substantially edited by someone else.) Please apply by mail or e-mail to: Wheeler Planning, P.O. Box 72282, Oakland, CA 94612, or to WheelerPlanning@gmail.com. The sub-consulting position is open until filled.