Breakfast Pizzas in a Cup
1 pound (grapefruit-size portion) lean or gluten-free dough or Savory Brioche dough.
6 strips of bacon (or breakfast sausage or Canadian bacon)
6 oz. of cheddar cheese (or your favorite), shredded
6 large eggs
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
butter or oil for greasing the pans
- Prepare and measure all toppings in advance. Render the bacon, sausage, or Canadian bacon, break it up into pieces and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit, with the racks in the center and top third of the oven. Grease two baking sheets. Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 1-pound (grapefruit-size) piece. Dust with more flour and quickly shape it into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and form them into balls.
- Roll out and stretch the crusts: Flatten each piece of dough with your hands and/or rolling pin on a work surface to produce a 1/8-inch-thick round. Dust with flour to keep the dough from adhering to the surface. Use a dough scraper to unstick the dough as needed. Transfer to the prepared muffin pan.
- Grease the pans and lay the dough into the wells.
- Layer the ingredients into the dough cups, crack the egg over the top of each. Don't overfill these, or the contents will spill out of the cups.
- Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven. Check for doneness in 5 to 8 minutes, at this time, turn the pan around in the oven if one side of the pizzas is browning faster than the other. It may take up to 5 minutes more in the oven.
- Serve hot from the oven.
Makes six 4-inch pizzas
Recipe courtesy of Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François