Google Docs: Sign in to Your Butler Google Apps Account
IT automatically creates a Butler Google Apps account for all enrolled students and all faculty and staff. There are several items that need to be covered the FIRST time you sign in. Subsequent sign ins will not require these steps.
Sign in for the first time
- Open a web browser and go to http://docs.google.com.
- If you are already signed in to another Google account, sign out by clicking your email address in the upper right corner and then clicking Sign Out.
- In the Sign in box, enter your full Butler email address and password.
- Click Sign in.
- Review and accept the user agreement.
- If you see a page called ‘An update to your account is required’, follow the instructions. IT RECOMMENDS following the instructions the FIRST time to avoid future confusion.
- If you were signed in to Google with another account when you started this process, you will see a screen asking about multiple sign-in. IT does NOT recommend using multiple sign-in unless you are Google savvy. See ‘Using Multiple Sign-In’ below.
- Once you have completed any necessary items, you will be at your account homepage.
- That’s it! Your Butler Google Apps account is now active.
- To access Google Docs anytime, visit http://docs.google.com and sign in with your full @butler.edu email address and password. You will know you are signed into your Butler account because your @butler.edu email address will be visible in the upper right corner of the screen.
- If you would like to manage your account settings in the future, visit http://apps.butler.edu/google and sign in with your Butler username and password or, while signed into your Butler Google Apps account, click your email address in the upper right corner and then click Account Setting.
- Note: It is possible to change the password for your Butler Google apps account via the Account Settings page, but IT does not recommend it as it will be overwritten the next time you change your Butler password via http://password.butler.edu.
Using Multiple Sign-In
IT does not recommend using multiple sign-in unless you are Google savvy.
If you already have a personal Google Account (i.e. Gmail, YouTube, Google Docs, etc.) that is not tied with your Butler email address, Google will let you sign in to both your Butler and personal accounts at the same time. Multiple sign-in works between most Google services.
If you are currently signed in to your personal Google account when you sign in to your Butler account, you will see the screen below. For further detail on using multiple sign-in see Understanding Multiple Sign-in.
Signing Into Your Butler Google Apps Account Settings & Data Liberation
To manage your account settings, visit: http://apps.butler.edu/google and sign in with your Butler username and password. Notice that on this sign in screen the @butler.edu is already known so you just need to enter your Butler username and password.
Once you are signed in, select the option you wish to manage.