chop stick or knitting needle
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tspn baking soda
1/2 tspn Kosher salt
3/4 tspn baking powder
2 eggs separated
2 cups buttermilk
1 tbsp vegetable oil + oil to grease the Æbleskiver pan
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, Kosher salt, and baking powder).
- Separate the eggs. Set the egg yolks aside. Using a stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they become fluffy.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients in with the egg whites.
- Mix in the egg yolks, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.
- Prepare all of the ingredients that you plan to add to the Æbleskivers in advance. We used diced apple and garnished them with confectioner's sugar and maple syrup.
- Heat the Æbleskiver pan over medium heat (gas stoves work the best with heavy cast iron pans).
- Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil to each well in the pan.
- When the pan is hot, fill each well 3/4 full with the Æbleskiver batter. Then place a small amount of diced apples (or whatever filling that you want to use) in the center of each well.
- Using a chop stick or knitting needle, slowly turn the Æbleskiver 1/4 length. After this side cooks, turn the Æbleskiver another 1/4 turn. Repeat until all sides of the Æbleskiver are cooked. The Æbleskiver is done when the chop stick can be inserted into the Æbleskiver and it comes out clean.
- Remove the Æbleskivers from the pan and dust with confectioner's sugar and top with your choice of fruit, syrup, whipped cream, or other topping. Serve them hot!