Marketing and PR Volunteer
Purpose of volunteer role
ALL FM is a vibrant community radio station, based in Levenshulme, Manchester.
We are planning on putting volunteers at the heart of core activities within the organisation, through a range of new volunteer roles.
Exciting opportunities have emerged to become part of a team of volunteers that organise marketing and PR activity that both raise money and promote awareness of the station.
● Updating @allfm Twitter account and other social media for the Station.
● Updating specific pages on website.
● Contributing to and assisting with marketing and PR activities as part of ALL FM’s overall strategy for publicity / PR.
● Generating ideas for web site.
● Spreading awareness of ALL FM.
● Researching and surveying ALL FM’s listenership, non-listenership, volunteer satisfaction, website usage.
● Developing effective communication between ALL FM and its volunteer workforce.
● Liaising with the Volunteer Events team to ensure maximum promotion of ALL Fm’s fundraising activities and events.
● Recruiting and briefing wider teams of volunteers in order to achieve successful marketing and PR activity.
● Attending monthly meetings as a member of the Marketing and PR Team
Dos and don'ts
DO work as part of a team to organise the regular, good quality marketing and PR activity that will raise the profile of ALLFM and raise money towards the running of the station.
DO consult the team and staff were appropriate before you carry out any forms of publicity for the station.
DO NOT organise any marketing or PR activity that will produce any personal monetary gain for you, or any other volunteers. All marketing activity which involves profits should be for the sole purpose of raising money and awareness for Allfm.
DO NOT organise any marketing activity without the event being authorised by the ALLFM marketing and PR committee.
DO NOT organise any fundraising marketing or PR activity that is in any way unlawful or that will compromise ALLFM`s moral position in the Community.
DO let supervisors know if you cannot make it in to volunteer
DON’T create any marketing or PR activity unless it is agreed by at least three committee members.
● As a volunteer role the hours are flexible, but as guidance, we expect all volunteers to dedicate a minimum of two hours a week to working on the development of marketing and PR activity.
● It is compulsory to attend the monthly meeting of the Marketing and PR volunteer team.
● You may be required to help at events which may involve evening or weekend working.
This volunteer position requires you to be able to work from home. Limited access to IT will be available during ALLFM core opening hours by arranging this with a member of staff.
Volunteers who are interested in this role need to have:
● A passion for ALLFM and the role of Community Radio.
● Some experience of using basic IT, but additional training can be given if needed.
● Willingness to learn about and use social media sites.
● Excellent listening, verbal and written skills.
● Creative and open to ideas.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Confidence in speaking to new people.
● Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
● Strong skills in negotiation and delegation.
● Excellent public speaking skills.
● Good organisational skills.
● Experience of working with websites.
Specialist skills/experience/knowledge (desirable) –
Some experience of journalism and social media campaigns.
Experience of using Wordpress.
Not required at present, but may be necessary for future events if appropriate.
Attendance of monthly team meetings, annual one-on-one supervision with the Marketing and PR Steering Group Chair.
For further information, or to apply for this role then please contact :
You will be invited to attend an informal interview and a general induction before you take on this volunteer role.