Simple Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Source: Very slightly modified from Sing for Your Supper as seen on Christine’s Kitchen Chronicles
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4-6 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half (optional...though, if you're omitting it then it's not creamy, now is it?)
- handful chopped parsley
- Put chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and seasonings in to a large stockpot and then add enough water to cover the chicken breasts and vegetables. Bring to a boil and simmer about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts and set aside on a plate or cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred the chicken into bite size pieces using forks or your hands. Skim the liquid of any fats and debris.
- Stir in the chicken, potatoes and corn. Simmer for another 20-30 minutes. Check for seasoning then if desired, add in the heavy cream and chopped parsley.