Backing up Moodle ISU Course Data Moodle ISU
The Moodle ISU backup utility creates a compressed backup file of the contents of your Moodle ISU course. The backup file can then be saved on your computer or an external storage device. Backup files can be used to restore course material to the Moodle server when needed.
This guide will help you to:
Backup Your Course
- Access the course you wish to backup.
- In the Administration block, Select Backup.
- In the Backup settings page, these options are checked automatically:
- Include activities
- Include blocks
- Include filters
- Include calendar events
- Include question bank
Note: For backing up IMS Common Cartridge, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At the bottom of the page:
- Click Next to continue to the next step.
- Click Jump to final step to skip to the end.
Note: If you choose to Jump, all of the course data will be included in the backup file.
- If you clicked Next, Select the checkboxes next to the resources you want included in the backup file.
- You can select or deselect the whole course by selecting the All or the None option at the top of the page.
Note: If you would like to add specific items from a week/topic, you must Select the name of the week/topic and then Select the specific items you would like backed up.
- Once you have selected the items you wish to backup, Click Next at the bottom of the page.
- On the next page, you will see the backup filename, settings and included items.
Note: If you choose to change the filename in the Filename area, make sure to keep the .mbz at the end of the file. Otherwise, the file will not work when you want to restore the course content. For example: CourseBackUp_Fall2014.mbz
- Make sure your selections from the previous page are marked with a checkmark.
- When you are satisfied everything is in order, Click Perform backup at the bottom of the page.
- This process may take a few minutes. Do not do anything with your computer until the progress bar reaches 100%. If it is taking longer than expected, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email email@example.com.
- Once the backup has been successfully created, Click Continue.
- There is a Technical information and warnings area below the Continue button. It just reiterates that you have elected to not include some items.
- If something seems wrong, contact ITRC for assistance.
- In the Course backup area, Locate the backup file you just created.
- The file time is the easiest way of identifying the file.
- Click Download to save the file to your computer.
- In the pop-up window, Select Save file.
- Click OK.
- Browse to where you would like to save the file.
- Click Save File.
For instructions on how to restore a course backup, see Restoring Course Data From Moodle ISU.
For more information, see Course Backup.
For additional information, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or end a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.