Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
From: Melissa Miller
Topping: 4 slices of bread, torn
2 T butter, melted
Filling: 3 lbs Russet potatoes (4-5 medium), peeled and sliced
1 tsp salt
4 T butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 T flour
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup cream or milk
6 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
2 T Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, sliced thin
9 oz deli ham, chopped
2 T minced fresh parsley
- Topping: Toss bread pieces with butter until well coated; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook potatoes with salt in water until partially cooked. Drain.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion, thyme, and 1/2 tsp salt. When onion is soft, add garlic. Stir for 1 min, until garlic is fragrant. Add flour and stir until golden. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and cream. Simmer; whisk often until mixture is thickened.
- Off the heat, whisk in cheese, Dijon mustard, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Toss the potatoes with half the sauce and put in a greased 9X13 pan. Place chicken in a single layer on top of potatoes. Put ham on top of chicken. Pour the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle on bread topping.
- Bake 30-35 min, uncovered, until chicken is done and sauce is bubbling.
(I baked it for 45 minutes to make sure the chicken was done. The bread topping did not get overdone)