For the Crust:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
For the Pecan Filling:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ stick), melted
1 tablespoon bourbon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups pecans, chopped coarse
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust: Spray 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Fit a piece of foil into the bottom of your pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place flour, brown sugar, pecans, salt, and baking powder in food processor. Process mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal, about five 1-second pulses. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles sand, about eight 1-second pulses. Pat mixture evenly into prepared pan and bake until crust is light brown and springs back when touched, about 20 minutes.
- For the pecan filling: While crust bakes, whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, bourbon, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until just combined. Add egg and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour filling on top of hot crust and sprinkle pecans evenly over top. Bake until top is brown and cracks start to form across surface, 22 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Remove bars from pan using the foil as a handle and transfer to cutting board. Cut into bars that measure 1½ inches by 2¼ inches.
Yields: 24 bars
Printed from: www.thursdaynightbaking.com