Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
For the muffins:
- 2/3 C sugar
- zest and juice of 2 medium lemons
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 C non fat plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 2 T poppyseeds
For the glaze:
- 2 large spoonfuls of confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2-3 T fresh lemon juice
- Mix until a syrup-like consistency & set aside
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare your muffin pan (grease or use paper liners)
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients and form a well
- In a smaller bowl add & mix (wet ingredients):
- Zest of the 2 lemons,
- Juice the 2 lemons (I used an electric juicer-btw: comes in handy for lemonade in the summertime!)
- Whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and canola oil until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients into the well and mix gently, leaving batter lumpy. Do not over-mix. Stir in the poppy seeds. Divide the batter into 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes, and then remove them from the molds.
- Drizzle glaze over the muffins while still warm.
Original recipe: Baking by Dorie Greenspan
Modified by: Sara at imafoodblog.com
and Joanne @ Morticia’s Parlor