For the Chocolate Wafers:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. With the mixer running on low speed add the butter and then the egg. Mix until dough comes together in a mass.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons on a prepared baking sheet, two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating half way through. Cool on baking sheet 3 minutes then transfer to racks and cool completely.
- To make the cream filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and shortening on low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cookies, Shape cream filling into balls using a a heaping teaspoon. Place cream filling ball into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
Note: to make “double stuffed” Oreos double the filling. When assembling the cookies, shape cream filling into 2 teaspoon sized balls and lightly press between two cookies.
Yields: 25 to 30 sandwich cookies
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com