Messages Moodle ISU
The Messages block offers a simple interface to send an instant message or email to individuals or to the whole class. Messages provide a way for you and your students to send emails through the course without having to manage multiple email accounts.
This guide will help you:
For help adding the Messages block to your course, see Blocks in Moodle ISU
Note: You can access your profile from within a course by clicking on your name in the upper right-hand corner.
Modify Message Setting Preferences
Faculty setting preferences do not apply to your students because setting preferences are user specific. Students can modify their message setting preferences using this same procedure.
- Login to Moodle ISU. For more information, see Accessing Moodle ISU for Faculty
- Click on your name.
- Select Preferences.
- Under User Account, Select Message preferences.
You will see a list of options that you can set depending on your preferences. A checkmark will appear to let you know that the boxes are selected.
- Check the boxes that best meet your preferences.
2. Under Message preferences, Check the box to prevent people who are not students in the class from messaging you.
3. Changes will automatically save when you select an option.
People who send you a message will automatically show up in your contacts.
To add/block/delete contacts:
- Click Messages located in either the Message block (if you have added one) or in the dropdown menu under your name.
- Select Contacts at the bottom to search for a user.
- Click inside the “Search for a user or course” box. And Begin typing.
- A Contacts/Non-contacts list will appear with names of people who met your search criteria.
- To add an individual as a contact, click their name from your search results.
- Click their name again from the New message window.
- From here, you can Send message, Block contact, or Add contact. Select the option you want.
To search for a person:
- Click Contacts, Type the person’s name in the Search for a user or course text box.
- Click Search for a user or course and begin typing.
- After you have selected your option, the screen will allow you to:
- Send a message.
- Select the name of the person you have selected to view their profile, send a message, add contact, and block contact.
To search for a message:
- In the Search messages section, Type a portion of the message you wish to find in Search messages text box.
- The results will populate as you type.
- Click the conversation you wish to view and it will appear on the right.
You can send messages either to an individual person or to a selected group of people within your course.
- Click Messages located in either the Message block or in the dropdown menu under your name.
- In your Contacts list, Click the name of the individual who you would like to contact.
Note: If the desired individual is not in your contact list, you can search for them by using the Search function, described above.
- Type in your message
- Click Send.
Note: You can also delete a message by selecting Edit in the top right and selecting the messages you wish to delete. You can either delete all messages in a conversation or selected parts of the conversation.
To send a message to selected course participants:
- In the People block, Click Participants.
Note: If you do not see the People block in your course, you can add it. For help adding the People block to your course, see Blocks in Moodle ISU
- In the course you wish to message, in the Navigation drawer, Click Participants.
- Check the box located to the left of the student’s name to select individuals or Click Select all located at the bottom of the list.
- From the With selected users dropdown menu, Select Send a message.
- Type the message that you wish to send.
- Click Preview to view your message before sending it to students.
- If the message is correct, Click Send message.
- If you want to make changes to your message:
- Click Preview.
- Correct your message.
- Click Update.
- Click Send message.
For more information, see Messaging
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.