Choice Activity Moodle ISU
The Choice activity allows an instructor to ask students a single question and offer a selection of possible responses. With this tool you can assess basic understanding of a topic, take a quick poll, and/or ask for group member preferences in learning activities, among other things.
This guide will help you to:
- Add a Choice Activity
- Manage Choice Activity Settings
- Review & Download Student Responses
Add a Choice Activity
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview.
- In the week/topic you wish to add the resource to, Click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Choice.
- Click Add.
Manage Choice Activity Settings
- In the Choice name box, Type a descriptive name. This is required to set up the activity.
- In the Description box, Type the question and/or instructions. This is required to set up the activity.
- To display the description on the course page, Check the box next to Display description on course page.
- Display mode - determines whether the different choices will display vertically or horizontally.
- Allow choice to be updated- determines whether or not a student can change their choice after selecting one.
- Allow more than one choice to be selected- determines if a student is able to make more than one selection.
- Limit the number of responses allowed -
- No - Will allow students to select any of the choices available no matter how many others users have selected that option.
- Yes - Will limit the number of participants who may choose each of the options available.
- Once the maximum number of participants has been reached, that choice will be removed from the list of choices.
- In the Options text boxes, Type the topic or option that you wish to assess. These are the answers that the students will be able to choose.
- If you have enabled limits on the responses, Enter the number of responses in the Limit box.
Note: If you wish to add more than five options, Click Add 3 field(s) to form.
- To enable this function, Check the Restrict answering to this time period check box.
- From the Open and Until dropdown menus, Set the desired dates and times.
Note: If you do not restrict the time limit, the choice will be available to the students throughout the course.
- Publish results - determines whether and/or when to publish the results to students.
- Privacy of results - only available if all of the results are published. It allows you to publish the results as non-anonymous or anonymous.
- Show column for unanswered - when set to Yes, this displays a column in the results showing how many students have not answered.
- Include responses from inactive/suspended users - Select whether or not the activity will include responses given by students who are no longer receiving credit for the course, but can still access it.
Common Module Settings
For more information on Common module settings, see Groups and Groupings.
For more information on restricting access, see Conditional Release.
For more information, see Activity Completion.
- Click Save and display to view the choice activity.
- Click Save and return to course to be taken back to the main course page.
- Click Cancel to delete the activity.
Review and Download Student Responses
The instructions to review and download the student's responses are displayed below.
- Select the choice activity from the home page of your course.
- Click View (#) responses.
- You can view the responses on this screen or you can choose to download them in an ODS, Excel, or text format by clicking Download in (___ )format.
For more information, see Choice Module.
For additional information, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email email@example.com.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.