Choice Activities Moodle ISU
The Choice activity allows you to survey the students. With this tool you can assess basic understanding of a topic, take a quick poll, and/or ask for group member preferences in learning activities, among other things.
This guide will help you to:
- Add a Choice Activity
- Manage Choice Activity Settings
- Review & Download Student Responses
Adding a Choice Activity
- Login to Moodle. For more information on logging into Moodle, please see Accessing Moodle ISU for Faculty.
- In the My Courses area, Click on the Course Title of the course to which you want to import content.
Note: Another option is to click the my courses dropdown in the Navigation block. Select the course you want to add material to.
- Turn Editing On. For more information on turning editing on, please see the Moodle ISU Overview.
- In the week/topic you wish to add the resource to, Click the red link Add an activity or resource.
- Click on the radio button next to Choice.
- Click the Add button. This will take you to the Adding a New Choice page.
Manage Choice Activity Settings
On the Settings screen, you will see several options to help you set up the activity:
- Type a descriptive name in the Choice Name box. This is required to set up the activity.
- Type the question and/or instructions in the Description Text box. This is required to set up the activity.
- To display description on course page click on the box next to Display description on course page.
- Display Mode: Determines whether the different choices will display vertically or horizontally.
- Allow Choice To Be Updated: Determines whether or not a student can change their Choice after selecting one.
- Select an option from the Limit the Number of responses Allowed dropdown menu.
- No: Will allow students to select any of the choices available no matter how many others have selected it.
- Yes: Will limit the number of participants for each of the choices available.
- Type the topic or option that you wish to assess in the Option text boxes. These are the answers that the students will be able to choose.
- If you have enabled limits on the responses, enter the number of responses in the limit box.
- If you wish to add more than 5 options Click on the Add 3 fields to form button.
- The settings under Availability determines the period when the Choices will be available.
- To enable this function check the Restrict answering to this time period check box.
- Enter the desired dates and times from the Open and Until dropdown menus.
Note: If you do not restrict the time limit the choice will be available to the students throughout the course
- Publish Results: Determines whether and/or when to publish the results.
- Privacy of Results: Only available if all of the results are published, it allows you to publish the results as non-anonymous or anonymous.
- Show Column For Unanswered: When set to Yes, this displays a column in the results showing how many students have not answered.
Common Module Settings
This block sets how the activity interacts with groups and groupings, and to a lesser extent the gradebook. For more information on groups and groupings, please see Groups and Groupings.
This section sets the conditions under which students may interact with this activity. For more information on conditional release/restricting access, please see Conditional Release/Restricting Access.
This section sets the conditions under which Moodle ISU will consider the activity to be complete. For more information on completion tracking, please see Completion Tracking.
Once you have everything set:
- Click the Save and Display button to view the choice.
- Click the Save and Return to Course button to be taken back to the main course page.
- Click the Cancel button to disregard adding the activity and to be taken back to the home screen.
Review and Download Student Responses
The response screen will allow you to see an overview of all of your students’ responses.
- Click on the Name of your choice activity from the home page of your course.
- Click on View … Responses.
- You can view the students’ responses on this screen or you can choose to download them in an ODS, Excel, or text format by Clicking on the Download … format button.
For more information, please see: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Choice_module
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.