Choice Activity Moodle ISU
The Choice activity allows an instructor to ask students a single question and offer a selection of possible responses. With this tool you can assess basic understanding of a topic, take a quick poll, and/or ask for group member preferences in learning activities, among other things.
This guide will help you to:
Add a Choice Activity
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- In the week/topic you wish to add the resource to, Click Add an activity or resource
- Select Choice
- Click Add
Manage Choice Activity Settings
- In the Choice name box, Type the name of the Choice activity. Students will see this name on the course homepage.
- In the Description box, Type a description of the Choice activity or any additional information you would like students to see.
- To display the description on the course page, Check the box next to Display description on course page.
- Display mode - determines whether the different choices will display vertically or horizontally.
- Allow choice to be updated - determines whether or not a student can change their choice after selecting one.
- Allow more than one choice to be selected - determines if a student is able to make more than one selection.
- Limit the number of responses allowed -
- No - Will allow students to select any of the choices available no matter how many others users have selected that option.
- Yes - Will limit the number of participants who may choose each of the options available.
- Once the maximum number of participants has been reached, that choice will be removed from the list of choices.
- In the Options text boxes, Type the topic or option that you wish to assess. These are the answers that the students will be able to choose. At least one Option is required.
- If you have enabled limits on the responses, Enter the number of responses in the Limit box.
Note: If you wish to add more than five options, Click Add 3 field(s) to form.
- To enable this function, Check the Enable boxes.
- From the Allow responses from and Allow responses until dropdown menus, Set the desired dates and times.
- Show preview - Allows students to preview the available options before the choice is opened for submission.
Note: If you do not restrict the time limit, the choice will be available to the students throughout the course.
- Publish results - determines whether and/or when to publish the results to students.
- Privacy of results - only available if all of the results are published. It allows you to publish the results as identified or anonymous.
- Show column for unanswered - when set to Yes, this displays a column in the results showing how many students have not answered.
- Include responses from inactive/suspended users - Select whether or not the activity will include responses given by students who are no longer receiving credit for the course, but can still access it.
Common module settings
- Choose whether to Show or Hide the Page (default is Show)
- Enter an ID number only if you want a way of identifying the activity for grade calculation purposes. If the activity is not included in any grade calculation then the ID number field may be left blank.
For more information on Common module settings, see Groups and Groupings
For more information on restricting access, see Restrict Access
For more information, see Activity Completion
- Click Save and display to view the choice activity.
- Click Save and return to course to be taken back to the main course page.
- Click Cancel to delete the activity.
Review and Download Student Responses
The instructions to review and download the student's responses are displayed below.
- Select the choice activity from the home page of your course
- Click View (#) responses
- You can view the responses on this screen or you can choose to download them in an ODS, Excel, or text format by clicking Download in (___ )format.
- ODS is OpenOffice Spreadsheet
- Excel is Microsoft Excel
- Text is a .txt file
4. In the pop up window, Select Save File.
- Depending on your browser settings, your file will either automatically save to your Downloads folder or you will be asked to browse to where you want to save the file.
- If you are asked to browse, determine where you would like to save the file and Click Save.
- If the file automatically saves to your Downloads folder, go to the Downloads folder (My Documents – Downloads) and move the file to the folder or the preferred area you would like to store the file.
For more information, see Choice Module
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.