Registration Main Page
There are SIX steps to the HECM Exam Process:
- Gather necessary personal information
- Registration: Account Creation
- Registration: Payment
- Registration: Scheduling your Exam
- Preparing for the Exam
- Take the Exam. This is a computer based exam that you can take from any computer with internet connection and working web camera and microphone.
This is a step by step guide through the process of registering and taking the exam. We recommend you read through this guide before registering. If you are ready to register you can click the “Registration Account Creation” link in the menu to your left at any time. Registration Checklist:
- Valid credit card from MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express
- Last 4 digits of your social security number
- Name of your housing counseling agency. If you are not yet employed at an agency, HUD has indicated test takers to enter “No Agency” as a place holder.
- HUD Housing Counseling System (HUD HCS) ID number for your agency (five digit number that begins with an "8"). If you are not yet employed at an agency, HUD has indicated test takers to enter “80000” as a place holder.
HECM Counselor Exam Registration Center: Net Certification Link Under New User? click on Browse the Catalog
- Click on Add To Cart to the left of "HECM Counselor Exam"
- Click on 'Checkout in the lower right hand corner
- Scroll down under New Account on the right side of the page, and type in the information requested:
- Legal Name
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- This email will be used to send you important information once you pass the exam, please use an up to date email address.
- ID and password
- Write this information down, as you will need it to complete the registration process.
- Date of Birth
- Last four digits of your social security number
- Complete name of your housing counseling agency
- If you are not yet employed at an agency, HUD has indicated test takers enter “No Agency” as a place holder.
- The HUD Housing Counseling System (HUD HCS) ID number for your agency.
- This is a five digit number that begins with an "8." If your agency is an affiliate of a national intermediary for housing counseling, the intermediary contact can provide this number. If you are not yet employed at an agency, HUD has indicated test takers enter “80000” as a place holder.
- If you have an account on FHA Connection, enter it here. This helps HUD process data for those taking the exam for requalification.
- Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page
CHANGES IN YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION If at any time after you register, there is a change in your personal information, please be sure to re-enter the online Registration Center using your "Student ID Login" and "Student Password" to change it.
Check the information to make certain it is correct - if it is not, click Modify Personal Information at the bottom of the page and correct it.
- When the information is correct, click on the click here to enter our secure purchasing area button
- Enter your credit card information and click Continue and then on the next screen, after reviewing your information, click I Authorize This Transaction
- When your credit card transaction has been completed, you will be at the Registration Center page; click on the Start link at the bottom of this page
- Login using the Login ID (user name) and Password that you created during registration
- Click on the Details "magnifying glass" button to the left of HECM Counselor Exam
- On the next page, click on the Details link to the right side of the page under the word Actions. You may now print your detailed receipt.
Following policies are effective from July 19, 2013.
Purchasers are only eligible for a refund within thirty calendar (30) days of the date of purchase. Any requests outside the first thirty days are not eligible for refunds.
Rescheduling of an exam is limited to two (2) times and must be done outside of 48 hours from the exam date originally scheduled. Further, exam dates must be scheduled within 120 days of purchase. The expiration on the exam purchase is 150 days.
Additionally, cancelling on the day of an exam or no-shows for scheduled exams will result in the forfeiture of said exam and require a new exam to be purchased in order to take the test.
NO EXCEPTIONS are allowed and by purchasing exam through the system, all purchasers are acknowledging they have read the rules and agree to abide by them.
You may see a statement saying that "You are urged to take the sample exam . . ." This is NOT a sample HECM exam. It is a sample "trivia" exam that only gives you practice answering multiple-choice questions on a computer. Sample HECM exam questions can be found on the Sample Exam page.
Schedule Exam at ProctorU:
If you have already created an account with ProctorU, clicking either the Schedule at ProctorU or Schedule links in NetCertification will automatically log you into their system and you will be presented with your scheduling dashboard at ProctorU. If you have not already created an account with ProctorU, please follow the instructions listed below:
- Need a web camera? ProctorU recommends just about any camera that can be purchased at your local electronics retailer.
- Need a microphone? Just like the camera, ProctorU recommends any microphone that works on your PC. Please note that most web-cameras have a microphone built-in which will work just fine. If necessary, an inexpensive mic can also be purchased at your local electronics retailer.
- If you do not have access to a web camera (or mic), please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will suggest options.
- Check the technical requirements page to make sure your computer and webcam meet the requirements.
- Watch the demo video in our How it Works section.
- Test your equipment out by going to our test it out page where a help desk technician will fully test your system for free.
- To begin scheduling with ProctorU, you will first need to log into NetCertification.
- Upon logging in, you will be presented with a list of exams you have purchased. Click the details icon next to the exam you would like to schedule with ProctorU.
- From here, you may either click the Schedule at ProctorU link at the top of the page, or the Schedule link that is in line with the chosen exam.
- If you have not previously created a ProctorU account, you will be presented with a series of forms that will guide you through their user creation process.
- Once your ProctorU account has been created, you will then be able to schedule an exam with them.
If you need special assistance under the Americans with Disabilities Act, send an email to email@example.com at least three weeks before the date on which you would like to take the exam. Provide specific information on your requirements as well as where and when you would like to take the exam.
Preparing for the Exam
Use the Preparation and Study Materials provided to prepare for the HECM Exam.
Take the exam - checklist
Before you leave for your exam make sure you have the following:
- Working computer with camera and mic that has passed the ProctorU tests.
- Photo ID (Must match the name you used when registering for the exam)
- A portable reflective surface such as a mirror.
- At the time of your exam, please go to http://proctoru.com/hecm, login, and click on the blinking button, asking you to “click here to start.