wednesday, August 27, 2013


meetings fourth Wednesday at 1:00 pm

of September,  October, November, January,  February, march,

 1.       CIETL budget for fall and Spring

2.       ePortfolios-What next?

Information from pilot project

Intermediate step needed

more faculty need to be engaged

Program assessments rolled  into eportfolio assessment

Things to do

1.  Revise the eportfolio template

2.  Tutor training for eportfolio training

Ask Jeanne and hyla for what they have done so far

Check emails to find information about Jeanne's plan

College-wide email requesting participation

Identify IPC relationship with eportfolios

Discuss eportfolios with academic senate

Anniqua will contact Jeanne to identify a proposal regarding next steps for eportfolios and get back to the group with the information. Campus-wide

Learning center folk need to be included

3.       Faculty proposals about speakers

funding lac us

Katie Mach

4. Pathways

a. Palmer and Mahoney (see note below)

Focussed inquiry network them to focus on focussed inquiry

b.  Invite Linda Collins to share ideas regarding building pathways

Email her to see if she is available for flex day .

c.  Invite college for working adults, counselors, and other departments to present work they have done on creating pathways

d.  Conversations with colleagues about

5. Student Success Conference



Funding from office of instruction- sending Tuesday

6.  Suggestions for academic year

September Adjunct Faculty Professional Portfolio

October - Prof. Jessica Einhorn

               "Current Field Research"  Acorns, Honey Ants, and Gasoline: Reflections on Indigenous Australian and Californian Basket Makers Today

Monday October 7 at 3:00  on 3-145

October 24 and 25

November - Dr. Katharine Mach, Project Scientist with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change    "Climate Change as a Challenge of Managing Risks"$300

Nov 19 2:10

February - Prof. Lezlee Ware and Prof. Mike Stanford                   "Innovations in the New Social Science Website"

March - "Professional Development Workshop"

April - "Nurturing Student Scholars"

Note about Pathways:

I am very interested in studying/discussing is the idea of thematic GE pathways.  (Notably, this is a bit different from linked courses, which often implies students are taking the courses at the same time.)  At the Compass Conference here on campus last spring, CSU-Northridge presented their experience in developing and implementing a GE Pathways program.   I encourage you to check out their program:

Creating GE pathways is one way to try to help students understand the relevance of GE to their majors, careers, and lives.  Students could use a pathway to strengthen their major, add a complimentary focus to their studies, or simply for personal interest/growth.  The basic idea is a college identifies several pathways.  (Northridge started with  3 pathways, Sustainability, Global Studies, and Social Justice.)  Courses that are already in the GE pattern are identified for each particular pathway, and students complete their GE by selecting (a prescribed # of) courses from the list.   I believe Northridge required  students to complete 6 of their 7 GE courses in a particular pathway.  We could decide what number makes sense for us.

Anyway, I like the GE pathway idea for a number of reasons:

•       It helps some students better understand how GE courses are relevant to them.

•       Students can use a pathway to complement their major and/or perhaps increase their marketability in the workforce.  (E.g.  A business student adding a sustainability pathway.)

•       It does not require the student to take ANY additional classes.

•       It does not require the college to create/offer ANY additional classes.

•       There is no scheduling nightmare of linking courses.

•       It may increase the opportunity to develop student cohorts.

I hope to connect with Northridge folks soon to further discuss their program, pros/cons, hurdles, successes, etc…, and I was also hoping to find others on campus who might be interested in discussing the GE pathways concept and how/if it might be something to pursue here at Cañada.



1. Pledge

Needs to be vetted college-wide before it can be promoted through CIETL

Anniqua will email David


2. Eportfolio task force


Participants have compiled the information, and Carol will email the completed version to the taskforce

This will be shared with the college through meetings and emails

Anniqua will share with Academic senate tomorrow

Carol will share it with IPC

Romeo Garcia TRIO and Michael Hoffman in math plan to take a lead in basic skills

Talk to Patti about honors eportfolios


ESL department received $2500 through ALLIES

Social Sciences FIN on eportfolios might be complete by then


3. Flex day

We need to plan  the beginning of second day (Anniqua will work on this via email)

All campus meeting about accreditation  followed by discussion

Division meetings on Day 2

Suggested speaker: “Wicked courses”


4. Solicit ideas from faculty and classified

Ask Larry or Linda to make a pitch on flex reminding them about CIETL

Think about give aways from  CIETL


5. September Ice cream social for cietl in the Vista?


  1.  CIETL budget

Do we have sufficient funding?

FIN...leslee and jessica

Eportfolio...more funding will be needed

Eportfolios Cretan and assessment

Stipends need to be paid for students

Budget for 2013-2014 eportfolios

Apply for a grant for eportfolios to institutionalize

  1. Draft of proposal on ePortfolio plan 2013-2014 ( I should have a draft  by our meeting  based on the information from  the Taskforce)

Add to the timeline:

Pilot project for  ILO assessment

  1. Proposal from Yolanda.  Please see the attached document

$300 from cietl budget for the creative writing project

$400 request from Denise about

Anniqua will send the information.

  1. Planning for fall flex

Accreditation: Robin, Doug, and Sarah

ePortfolio feedback

One hour of portfolio creation

Denise will send information about flex day speaker...wicked Ron Galatolo

  1. Other?

Ben stefanick

Affective domains

Professional development: inclusive of everyone.

Meeting in April 2013 to plan for fall 2013 and spring 2014

Institutional Learning Outcome Rubric-Draft

Assessment: Use language to effectively convey an idea or set of facts,

including the ability to use source materials and evidence according to institutional and discipline standards.



Primary Element

Below Basic-0







Selection conveys ideas/facts in a disorganized or unconvincing manner.

Selection conveys ideas/facts, but lacks organization and/or depth.  

Selection conveys ideas/facts in an organized, convincing manner.

Selection conveys ideas/facts in a well-organized, compelling manner.  


Mechanical Accuracy (Grammar, spelling, punctuation)

Selection has numerous distracting errors.

Selection has several distracting errors.

Selection has few distracting errors.

Selection has no distracting errors.



Selection fails to provide appropriate, documented references.

Selection provides references, but may not be fully credible or may contain documentation errors.

Selection provides credible references with negligible documentation errors.

Selection provides highly credible references, with exemplary documentation.  


Total Score (Maximum score is 9.):






Subject of Assessment




Date of Assessment



2/25/13 ePortfolio Task force mtg


1. templates – review

comments on foregrounding of work, backgrounding ILOs.

keep it simple.  make explicit what is required.  but do not limit creativity.

so, column 2 wording helps to dissect ILO wording.

have course work and reflection on same page, with reflection at beginning or at end.  emphasizes that each posting requires a reflection.


reflections closer tied to evidence.


2. sharing with committees


proposal for Pilot ILO this spring.  target is graduating students  . March to May 2013

student stipends $25 gift cards.  scholarship?


Summer 2013 is completion of Program eportfolios- ESL, ENGR, Soc Sci?.

 Fall flex reports.  also, include evaluation of ILO pilot.


Fall 2013: continue pilot with graduating students only?  include incoming students?

Romeo – start with small set of incoming, as in TRIO.  55-70 students.  esp involves extracurricular achievements.

Honors –  #? students. hits the academic side.


in coordination with GE instructors.  so the assignments will be applicable.


Could University Center be a good source of cohorts?

College for Working Adults?



Fall 2014 – include all incoming students.

Notes from 2/11/13 meeting of eportfolio task Force


language is a hindrance.  common use of ILO and PLO.  SLO refers to Course SLO.


all programs need to participate.  regardless of “Program” designation.

to assess student learning as a whole.  are some groups reluctant?



see separate doc from Hyla.  discussion of various issues.  release form seems simpler than Creative Commons licensing.  much depends on who hosts the portfolios, which is unlikely to be the district.

school needs access for purposes of assessing ILOs and PLOs.  some use of these for PR and training would also be valuable.


Privacy – David Meckler

see separate doc.  based on Clemson, LaGuardia programs


Clemson.  5 levels of privacy.

public on the web

anyone with link to url

district.  esp as students float btw all 3 colleges.

link only to prof who can access that page only.


student name is not required to be IN the portfolio.


Policy / Structure

needs to be simple enough for easy-to-use template and still promote creativity.

given purposes of student benefit and college assessment of ILOs, organized around ILOs on home page.  links can be from any artifact, academic or extracurricular.



Home                  Academics                      Campus and Community                      Resume





                My Canada Journey – list of ILOs and subcategories, each linked to artifact.

                About Me           

                Educational and Career Goals



                Courses listed in a table. each linked to appropriate ILO or PLO or other goal


Campus and Community


College Learning Outcomes


1.  Select, evaluate, and use information to engage in creative problem solving, investigate a point of view, support a conclusion, or engage in creative expression.

                problem solver

                information literacy

                creative expression


2. Use language to effectively convey an idea or set of facts, including the ability to use source material and evidence according to institutional and discipline standards.


                information literacy


3. Understand and interpret various points of view that emerge from a diverse world of peoples and cultures.

                intercultural competence

                productive citizen

                community service


4. Represent complex data in various mathematical forms (e.g., equations, graphs, diagrams, tables, and words) and analyze these data to make judgments and draw appropriate conclusions.

                quantitative thinking

                problem solver



October 17, 2012


Need to gage faculty engagement with e-portfolios

10am session—Teaching and Learning with ePortfolios

11am session—ePortfolio Implementation: Good, Bad, Ugly, and Other Experiences

12:30pm session—"Panel" Discussion/Q&A on ePortfolio

Can we combine the last two sessions? We will likely get the same questions in both sessions.

Here is a possible agenda (without titles, because we are hoping you can supply us with titles):


10:00 - 10:50:  We will introduce you (5 minutes)

                        You present the ePortfolio concept (not everyone heard your presentation on opening day at CSM last August, so you can review plenty of that material) and models of signature assignments, but perhaps  some more real-world stuff (the example from your study abroad was great - we were

 all envious!), but maybe we need something we all can relate to.  We are hoping to engage faculty from  

disciplines across the curriculum (not just language arts), to create a sense of excitement across the college.


10:50 - 11:00:  Coffee Break


11:00 - 11:45:  The two of you tell us what it takes to get a program like this going.  We need practical information: What kind of institutional support do we need?  What kind of faculty co-ordination is needed?  What roles are there for faculty leadership?  Kati, what is involved in being an ePortfolio coordinator?  Nuts and bolts!


11:45 - 12:30:  Lunch  (we will have a salads/breads/waters/cookies lunch)  and encourage program faculty to talk at tables in their disciplines about what you have presented


12:30 - 1:15:  We could make this a time for break-out sessions where the two of you could meet with groups, or we could make this a general Q&A session.  What do you think?


1:15 - 2:00:  Canada discussion of next steps, using your sage advice.  You have seen all of the missteps along the way, so you can save us a lot of misdirected waste of energy, and give us guidance to use our resources in the best,most effective way possible.


What do you think?  Please re-organize as you see fit.  You are the experts, so we want to do anything you suggest.  And, can you give us a title?


We are really looking forward to your day with us!  Let me know what I can do to make you visit to California enjoyable!

8/29/12  mtg with Jean Mach, Anniqua, Denise, Carol


eortfolios.  Why?

assess college, GE outcomes.  direct assessment that is not possible otherwise.


1.  ITS – must use a simple system.  bugs worked out.  VPIs need to move ITS.

Anniqua – use google sites.  easy. link to mail.

Denise – Presidents Innovation grant to pilot a system.  For ESL, Anniqua and Michelle at library to get students over the tech hurdle.  training across disciplines.

Jean – needs to link all the portfolios in one system.

so easy that nothing needs to be done in the classroom.  all can be done outside.  flexible so that platform can be used by any discipline, use any bells and whistles.

Denise – FINs could be used to get faculty involved in eportfolios.

Is ITS willing to host this on district server? this was previous problem at CSM.


2.  design plan must be uniform among all campuses.  possible configurations:

                    a. by course.  artifact linked to course

pros – easy for teachers.  this assignment goes on that tab

cons – not linked to a  GE outcome.  might be good, in that some GE outcomes could be shown in various assignments.

                    b. set up around GE SLO. problem is different wording among the colleges. students decide which GE outcome is addressed by the artifact that they mount.  makes easier assessment.  must educate students as to which GE slo is  involved in any assignment.  shifts more responsibility to student.

                    c. hybrid version described by Jean, based on east coast college.   nesting of postings, such that searches could pull up by SLO or by course.  tougher to design, more complicated.

                    d. template – tell students what to post.  more directed.  specifiy components.


3.  how to assess portfolios.  several models known.

                    training of faculty to set norms, expectations.  reviews often done in pairs, across disciplines. rubrics.

                    anticipate issues that will arise.

                    will become clear which assignments are good at eliciting good outcomes.

                    as teachers are involved in the review process, they will see first-hand what assignments work best, what gets good reflections.

                    will require stipend funds to pay reviewing teachers.


4. support mechanisms on campus

                    where do students get help on mechanics, content (resumes, statements)

                    counseling, courses – imbedded in course.


3. faculty role  -  training materials could be done once for district and put online. will need workshops on each campus.

                    remind students to post assignment and reflection.

                     must show student what a good reflection looks like.  learn good prompts.

                    create Signature assignments that directly address SLOs.

                                    could be college-wide focus on a particular SLO per year.  teachers sharing assignments, projects, prompts that elicit good student competency.



How to sell portfolios to faculty –

this could substitute for other types of course assessment.

promote learning by students.

give students a product to showcase their abilities.  for work, transfer.

will CSU, UC be using portfolios?

vision of students demonstrating their competencies.

is this a passing fancy?  think ahead.  SFSU already requires incoming teachers (?) to have portfolios.

students take their work up a notch.  take ownership of their learning.  reflection, esp, promotes this.

training is part of student orientation, part of faculty orientation.


New team to take it district wide:

3 VPIs

3 SLO coordinators


this group would ask Ron for $$ to do the required pieces.  How to sell to Ron:

make district a trail blazer, knock the stuffing out of WASSC

lots of LARGE grants with this kind of work.   need to see college support in order to get grants.

need cultural shift in how our college thinks about learning, assessment, curious about students learning.  culture of inquiry/curiosity.

forward momentum with portfolios.

this might be a way of repairing damage of SLO work, of pushing forward, new beginnings, shifts dynamic from (faculty has failed our students) to student initiative in their own learning.  revive attitude of teachers as professionals helping students.

Any Portfolio program must be done well; it is not just YOU MUST ASSESS.

motivates students to take charge of their education.  motivating.

go in with examples; already happening (Skyline? Anniqua’s students, others??? CSM experience)


Anniqua – will make list of areas needed that are potential FINs

possible areas that could result in grants.


create teams around each need to get portfolios going.  ask for signups, contributions.


students now have portfolios.  get them to show them to faculty, other students.


Denise: follow up with scheduling of David Hubert in November.


Carol: How do we vet this before faculty?

Academic senate?  IPC?  Curriculum.

August 22 , Wednesday, 2012


By-laws and once a semester meeting

•       Grant writing conference – recruitment?-Michelle Morton is interested

grant proposal project topic

check for refund options

cietl policy for professional development

professional development policies for reimbursement

•       Recruitment for new courses   Denise, you discussed this with robert, Linda, etc. Anything that CIETL can do?


institutional support needed for new courses

include a write-up in cietl newsletter about new courses

when you have an idea for a new course, these are ideas on how to support it.

checklist for faculty to follow

the list sent out by david Johnson needs to be sent out

information about course outline

information for students

information for counselors

things to do:

new innovative courses

cietl newsletter.

•       How to promote FINS, now that we have money for them?

o       Talked to DE coordinator –Kathy

o       E-Portfolio projects

•       How to proceed with eportfolios

meet with Jean mach

FIN on eportfolios

all-college jean in october?

Dave Hubert in November

build infrastructure for students

faculty get professional development

we will meet jean on Wednesday next week

Anniqua will create a form

highlight eportfolios for faculty across disciplines

check the links from Jean's email

•       Student assistants for E-Portfolios

o       Focused inquiry projects

o       Student Training materials

o       Work with Rita and her tutoring system

•       Work with DE-Kathy

•       Post CIETL Coordinator meeting dates on calendar

CIETL MEETINGS FALL 2012/SPRING 2013 third Wednesday 2:30-4:00 fall/spring

Monday, August, 13, 2012

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:02 AM

Notes sent to: Hayes, Linda; Erickson, Denise; Rhodes, Carol; Stoup, Gregory; Flores, Ricardo; Hirzel, Douglas

Cc: Rosario, Joan (Jo'an)

Subject: notes from flex planning meeting 2012


Hi everyone here are the notes from today:

Flex Day 1:


1.           Denise: contact Jean and David about creating context for presentation


2.           Ricardo: beginning web access


3.           Carol: Follow-up discussion about e-portfolio (Handout should be sent with flex day) Carol will create one document with information


a.           Identify support needed by programs


b.          Identify different strategies based on eportfolios


c.           List the details from David’s website


d.          Anniqua: create on-line form

Day 2:  8:45 start

Information session President/VPI/Researcher Followed by Carol and Doug Things to do:


·             Anniqua will create a one-page handout identifying key topics mentioned last flex day


·             Use google docs for groups Doug will assign sections from the accreditation document for groups to work on


·             Ricardo will send photos to Anniqua for the handout


·             Joan to be contacted for copies


·             Maggie will take care of refreshments


May 24, 2012

Carol Rhodes, Sarah Perkins, Linda Hayes, Denise Erickson. Anniqua Rana


Ricardo will move to a different area

CIETL should remain center to the campus keeping professional development at the center of the campus

There is a need to assess work with CIETL

Measure G funding available

Publicity needed : Technology needed (Friday afternoon and Saturday

Linda will send the results to the survey of the technology

FLEX DAY -Fall 2012


Lead faculty member within CIETL (Anniqua) 4 units

Lead faculty Assessment (Carol) 4 units

Lead faculty Gen ed (Denise) 3 units

        Gen ed committee of the sub committee

Assessment tools are needed over the summer so the faculty can look over them.  Portfolios might be part of them.  AACCJC needs direct and indirect assignments and measurement

CIETL Meetings

3:00 pm Wednesday (Third Wednesday of the month) for fall spring (2011-2012)

From: Rana, Anniqua

Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:14 PM

To: Rhodes, Carol; Erickson, Denise; Perkins, Sarah

Subject: Plan for May and flex day

Here are the notes from our meeting today.

We discussed program and institutional learning outcomes, and what we should do in May, summer and then flex day.  Here is a tentative plan:


·         In May ask a group of faculty to meet to discuss Eportfolios and signature assignments

·         Before flex day, ask this group and other faculty to meet to identify key assignments and assessment procedures in their departments

·         During flex days work with departments to finalize assessment plans after listening to a district-wide presentation  by Hubert

> And here's a link to an article AAC&U did about his work last year.  His project has expanded a lot in the year since then:



CSM Survey and EPortfolios

Alignment of course SLOs and institutional Learning Outcomes


May meeting


Link to Hubert’s work and say we’d like to discuss this with the goal of how this might work at Canada

1.       Patty

2.       Doug

3.       Jenny

4.       Jeanne

5.       Lisa

6.       Allison

7.       Paul

8.       Denise

9.       Michael Hoffman

10.   Anniqua

11.   Carol

12.   Michelle




Flex day


Key note speaker David Hubert as speaker for flex day

Inter-district meetings



Signature assignments developed by programs.  These will be put into eportfolios when the software has been identified 


1.       Drafts of specifics  that could be used to asses PLOs

2.       Assignment and rubric that clearly show which higher –level assignment is being addressed



March 14 2012, 2:00-3:30

Denise, Anniqua, Carol, and Greg

Meeting Notes


Innovation in Curriculum

Meet with Sarah and Alicia to plan a discussion at an early May curriculum meeting on how the committee can support innovation in curriculum. Anniqua will email with the link to the comments to discuss how this can be addressed 


Denise will check out the following speakers as follow-up in fall flex day (potential speaker Diane Ravitch and CSU)   or   (Check with Allison Field)

Purchase their books for CIETL



·         Unblock settings from district site (Carol will email Jasmine and Bradley Witham about unblocking)

a.       Eportfolio training- meet with the following to plan Doug, Patty, Jenny, Linda Haley, and Jeanne Mach  call a meeting

b.      Fall plan a training with SFSU folk and Jeanne


Making CIETL  more welcome for conversations

·         Place a form for the CIETL Center in all faculty/staff mailboxes

·         And include a welcome note from CIETL to check the calendar and then stop by to keep the conversation going


Agenda for meeting on Wednesday

Remind faculty that this is a Joint Division Meeting

Set up a dashboard, to follow the guidelines

What should be a follow-up to Ken’s presentation

Potential Speakers

1.           FLEX DAYS

·         Fall, Winter, Spring

Feedback from Jan flex day.  Include guidelines for flex activities

Organize a flex day committee  to plan March (and Fall/Winter) flex days) Set up a meeting for next week the latest.

·         Kim Lopez

·         David Johnson

·         Sarah Harmon

·         Ricardo Flores

·         Carla

·         Debbie

·         Roberta

·         Paul Naas

Ideas for march: Follow-up to Ken, ASPEN

Send an email in February with agenda for flex day to get people to think about what they need to accomplish.


Email college about Ricardo's responsibilities and post availability on the schedule

Send out another email about his availability

Work with faculty on a regular basis

Every other

3.           CIETL Report to assess what we’ve done and plans for future.  I’ll try and send out a draft today.

4.           CIETL EVENTS

Email the CIETL calendar on a regular basis along with the process:


Follow these five steps to plan a CIETL event:

  1. Email Carol, Anniqua, and Denise with your suggestion. Include details like outcomes, audience, time and date, technology, and refreshments.  We will respond within two weeks and help facilitate the event.
  2. Check the CIETL Calendar for the CIETL Center (9-154) availability. To request FOB access, fill out the this Key Request form and submit to your supervisor. If you prefer another location, contact the individual in charge.
  3. Create a flyer based on the following template and email it to Carol, Anniqua, or Denise  to email it campus-wide.
  4. Email your resources to Anniqua to post on the CIETL site and bring copies if needed.
  5. After the event, complete this survey to help us plan future events.


July, 5, 2011

CIETL notes

For your reference, here is 2009-2010  proposed budget for CIETL :

Also,  the attached document outlines the estimated time it will take to work on CIETL projects summer 2011 :

New faculty/staff  orientations

1.       Thursday, August 11 -(Agenda from 2010)

2.       Breakfast and lunch together (same day as curricunet training)

3.       Paul Mas, Elsa, bob, Allison, Jonathon and speech should also be invited

4.       $250 stipend

5.       New administrative and classified  training

a.       Robin will be contacted

b.      work with staff rep (Debbie Joy or Joan Murphy)

c.       Kim, Romeo, Kay

Adjunct  Orientations

1.        Saturday, August 13

2.       Contact Mike Noonan as lead on adjunct training

a.       Also contact Ricardo

3.       send an invitation to all adjunct

4.       9:00 1:30 (stay till the end)

5.       $150  stipend


Faculty handbook created in 2010 by Anniqua and passed by academic senate needs to be adjusted

Work on orientation document.  Currently the documents on the New faculty link

○         New Faculty Handbook 2009 (14MB)

○         New Adjunct Faculty Handbook 2009 (10MB)

After completing the documents, I should share them with the academic senate so we can have them uploaded to the website

Organizing CIETL center in bldg 9

●        CIETL Center -posters etc (Anniqua will send an estimate)

Conferences to attend-2011-2012

●        League of Innovation

March 7, 2012, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. ....mike Stanford...Greg/mike...Janet poster session...math invite people to present....


Allison with dense to work on inviting though conference,...Denise proposals are due September 16.... AAC&U check the website for regional and short term meeting especially the local ones...continue Gen Ed ideas

●        museum of tolerance

●        Shorter trips to local museums

               Picasso exhibit at DeYoung

●        Tech museum San Jose