A recipe by magsandlou.blogspot.com
Yield: 12 cups shredded chicken and 20 cups chicken stock
For this I used two whole roasting chickens. Some stores will put these on sale buy one get one so stock up if you can when they are on sale.
1. Rinse chickens with cold water and place in a large stock pot. Cover with water and add all of the chopped carrots, celery, onions, poultry seasoning and kosher salt.
2. Let simmer,covered for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked.
3. Pull the chicken out, throw away the veggies and let the broth cool. (I used my strainer and a very large pitcher for this. Place the strainer over the pitcher and pour the broth through separating the broth from the veggies)
4. Once your broth is cool pour it in to muffin tin cups and freeze, once frozen you can pop them out of the pan and freeze in zip lock bags for easy use later.
5. Once the chicken is cool enough to touch begin separating the meat from the bones and shred. If you have a stand mixture you can toss the chicken in there give it a quick whirl and it will shred the chicken for you!
6. Once chicken is cooled and shredded you can set aside 6 cups for enchiladas and freeze the other half. I froze them in two quart sized freezer bags 3 cups in each.
2 roasting chickens yield approx. 20 cups of shredded chicken
*I dont remember exactly how much they weighed but they were medium sized compared to the other chickens.