Adding a Link to an External Website in Your Course Moodle ISU
You can add links to external websites as a way to include online articles, videos, podcasts and other resources in your course.
Add a URL to Your Course
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- Locate the week/topic in which you wish to add the resource
- Click Add an activity or resource
- Select URL
- Click Add
Note: You can drag and drop URL links, files, and folders into your Moodle ISU course homepage. Turn editing on and Click and hold the URL link, file, or folder to drag the item over to your Moodle ISU page. You can drop the item at the bottom of any week/topic of your choosing, then use the arrows to move the item to the desired location.
- In the Name box, Type the name of the web link. This will show to the students on the course homepage.
- In the External URL box, Paste the entire URL beginning with http(s) or Click Choose a link.
- In the Description box, Type in a description.
- If you would like this description displayed on the course page, Check the Display description on course page checkbox.
- From the Display dropdown menu, Select the setting for how the URL will be displayed.
- Automatic - selects the best display option.
- Embed - displays the URL within the webpage with the name and description (if checked).
- New Window - displays the URL in a new browser window with menus and address bar.
- Open - displays the description with a link to the URL in the browser window.
- In pop-up - displays the URL in a pop-up window. If selected the width and height can be adjusted.
- Display URL description will show the description of the resource if the URL is embedded.
Note: This box will only be accessible if you have selected Automatic or Embed.
This section affects the parameters of a website. For more information regarding URL variables, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Common module settings
- Choose whether to Show or Hide the Page (default is Show)
- Enter an ID number only if you want a way of identifying the activity for grade calculation purposes. If the activity is not included in any grade calculation then the ID number field may be left blank.
For more information on restricting access, see Restrict Access
For more information on activity completion, see Activity Completion
- Click Save and display to view the file.
- Click Save and return to course to be taken back to the course homepage.
- Click Cancel to delete the link to the external website.
Note: The new resource will always appear at the bottom of the list within the week/topic you have chosen.
For more information, see URL resource
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.