- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 envelopes (1/2 oz) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees)
- In a two cup measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup water, yeast, and 2 teaspoons of sugar; let rest 10 minutes until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together flour, salt, olive oil until combined. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add the yeast mixture and 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water and knead with the dough hook until elastic and smooth, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 ½ hours.
- Tear off handfuls of dough, about the size of a small orange. Roll into 12 equal sized balls, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise, about 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the balls intro circles about ¼ inch thick. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Place the dough circles directly on the oven rack and bake 5 to 7 minutes.
Yields: 1 dozen pitas
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com