OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 21st February 2012

19:00 - 20:00 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Dermot, Michael (first half), Simon, Richard

Apologies: Oliver

Minutes by: Michael, Dermot

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met February 14th for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Simon

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes. Addition: Pay attention to Poland UMP-pcPL project
  • Henk - Japan argath import. Ask if it could go now.?
  • Grant - UMP addition to, implement in Rails code: “More about OSM’s use of UMP data can be found here”
  • Mike - Make sure responding to German-language decliner mailings on a future agenda so that it gets done.
  • Mike - Posting to Announce mailing list will be done after today’s “Night OF the Living Maps

3. Finalise today's agenda

4.  Database contact and re-map

Global picture:

  • Monthly history planet dump done, stats being updated 22nd February [1].
  • Nodes that will likely not survive the license change are down from 24.9M to 24.1M [2]
  • Problematic Ways 1.96M [2]
  • Problematic relations 42,000 [2]
  • “lost mapper” contact effort underway, seeing up to 20% return



5. Technical Rebuild

Management group met Wednesday and mildly favours "continuous changeover" model on non-technical grounds.

The Rebuild group held a conference call Sunday. Consensus exists that an in-place schema update of the existing database is the best approach. There is also a generally positive attitude to the idea of "continuous changeover", though some more details need to be discussed.

V0 principle: The LWG was asked by the Rebuild group to join with them in endorsing the principle that V1 objects by non-agreeing mappers should not automatically be deemed tainted - that is, that the very existence as an object should not enjoy copyright protection. Rather, only co-ordinates and tags added by the non-agreeing mapper will be deemed tainted. In this way, V1 objects will be treated in the same way as subsequent versions. The LWG discussed this principle and is pleased to endorse it.

Last CC-BY-SA Planet file: Again arising from a request from the Rebuild group, LWG is requested to consider the long-standing published policy of publishing one last CC-BY-SA planet file immediately prior to the licence cutover. Since one of the options under consideration by the Rebuild group is to begin the process of redacting data even before April. This could be seen as having an impact on some of the goals in publishing a last CC planet file. It was noted too, both by Rebuild and LWG, that the ongoing remapping efforts also have the potential to impact the same goals (since some remapping effort is known to be by the “scorched earth” method of deleting first, then slowly remapping). No firm view has yet been taken on this matter.

Mike to draft messaging required for consumers of planet diffs related to changeover requirements due to licence change. This will include a proposed new attribution for tiles.

6. OSM Poland

Mike has written to UMP. Responses received indicate that the UMP community would be willing to let OSM continue to use UMP data under ODbL under certain conditions. Mike to follow up with these discussions during this week.


- Attribution after the license change

- Countries where data collections is not officially allowed (China, India, …)

- Wikipedia WIKI loves monuments competition and geocoding

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Feb 28th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET