Serves 6 to 8
* 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
* 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
* 1 large carrot, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
* 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped chipotles in adobo 1 tablespoon dried oregano
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
* 3 cups cooked red kidney beans, drained
* 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until vegetables are softened but not browned.
2. Add chipotles, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir to blend. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
3. Add beans and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Garnish individual bowls with green onions or vegan sour cream, if desired.