* 1 package dry active yeast
* 1 cup warm water
* 1 Tb vegan sugar
* 3 cups bread flour ( I used 1 1/2 cups white flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour )
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 tsp salt
* water, for sealing the calzones
* cornmeal, for dusting
* 1 ½ cups vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1 package of Soyrizo, prepared as directed on package ( if you do not like soyrizo, feel free to and any of your favorite fillings )
* 1 ½ cups Pizza sauce
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Stir gentle to dissolve and allow to sit for about 5 minutes, until foam appears.
2. Pour the flour in slowly, mixing with a wooden spoon while adding. Add the olive oil, sugar and salt and stir again to combine.
3. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 to 10 minutes, until a smooth dough has formed. Form dough into a round a place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat the entire ball with oil. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a warm area until double in size, about 45 minutes.
4. When ready, knead the dough gently and divide it into 4 pieces. Sprinkle each piece with flour, knead, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. To assembly the calzones, preheat oven to 400 F. Roll each piece of dough into 10 inch circles.
6. Spoon a little of the filling into one side of the dough and brush the outer edge with water to help form a seal.
7. Fold dough over to enclose the filling and form a large turnover.
8. Roll the edges with your fingers to close tightly and prevent leaking. Repeat with remaining rounds. Cut a few slashes in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.
9. Sprinkle a pizza peel or a baking pan with cornmeal and carefully transfer each calzone. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let the calzones cool for about 10 minutes before serving.