Coconut Creme Pie
For the Crust:
- 6 ounces animal crackers
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
For the Filing:
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into two pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Cream and Garnish:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cold cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted in small dry skillet until golden brown
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse animal crackers, coconut, and sugar into fine crumbs, eighteen to twenty 1-second pulses; then process until powdery, about 5 seconds.Transfer crumbs to medium bowl and add melted butter; stir until crumbs are evenly moistened. Transfer crumbs to a 9-inch glass pie plate; press crumbs evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake until fragrant and medium brown, about 15 minutes, rotating pie shell halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, bring coconut milk, whole milk, shredded coconut, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt to simmer, stirring occasionally to ensure the sugar dissolves.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisking constantly, slowly pour 1 cup of hot milk mixture over yolks; whisk well to combine. Whisking constantly, gradually add remaining milk mixture to yolk mixture in 3 or 4 additions; whisk well to combine. Return mixture to sauce pan and cook until thickened and mixture reaches boil, whisking constantly, about 1 minute; filling must boil in order to fully thicken. Remve from heat, whisk in butter and vanilla until butter is fully incorporated. Pour hot filling into cooled pie shell and smooth surface with rubber spatula; press plastic wrap directly against surface of filling and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Just before serving, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Top pie with whipped cream and then sprinkle with toasted coconut. Cut pie into wedges and serve.
Yields: 1- 9 inch pie
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com