3318 Knob Oak Drive
Grapevine, TX 76051
817.846.4064 • Paul@SalientBlue.com • http://SalientBlue.com/blog
• Agile Methods (XP, Lean, Kanban)
• Continuous Delivery / DevOps
• Pragmatic Coding Principles
• AWS/EC2/Rackspace API’s
Principal Technical Consultant, ThoughtWorks; Various Locations — 3 January, 2011 - Present
- Coding: most recently worked on a client project (Rackspace Deployments) that was run as a Start-Up, both as a coder and as technical lead. The MongoDB/Python/Bottle/AngularJS project was fast-paced, relying heavily on a strong Continuous Delivery pipeline to enable frequent production releases with high confidence. Scaling was achieved through the use of Redis for caching as well as scaling out by adding more API nodes in the Cloud as well as scaling up by resizing existing nodes. Workflows were constructed using SpiffWorkflow which fed a Mongo-backed Celery queue. The product hit a run-rate of $1 million within three months of the first production release. During peak development, production releases were occurring as many as 3 times per day and at least once per day.
- Continuous Delivery & DevOps: worked with clients to apply an iterative, test-driven approach to configuration management and systems deployment. Assisted multi-billion dollar companies automate and bring consistency to every stage of software and deployment: from providing consistent development machine setup, to automated deployments to testing environments, all the way to automated deployment to production. Utilized AWS, Puppet, Nagios, and even Cucumber to monitor, test and deploy systems with high consistency and reliability. Paired with and coached client technicians on the effective use of automated deployment tools and practices, enabling continuous improvement long after my consulting engagement ended.
- Coaching/Mentoring: in all of my engagements, a crucial ingredient to success has been enabling the client to succeed through modeling solid development principles and practices, pairing with individuals - including testers, developers, and leaders - and challenging all who work with me to question assumptions, gain meaningful feedback through the proper use of appropriate measurements, and act on that information with courage while maintaining respect for others. I have enjoyed watching the teams and individuals I coach overcome environments of fear, skepticism and even divisiveness to become cohesive, collaborative teams whose passion for their craft and respect for others permeates the organization.
Agile and Engineering Coach, LeanDog; Various Locations — 12 October, 2009 - 2 January, 2011
- Training/Facilitation: worked with one of LeanDog's clients, developing and facilitating courses for XP Engineering Practices, Agile, Test-Driven Development, Pair Programming, Refactoring, Continuous Integration and Automated Testing for the Java technology stack. These classes were used as a part of a rapid expansion strategy, moving the IT department from a few Agile development teams to dozens.
- Coaching/Mentoring: worked with one of LeanDog's clients as they sought to both improve their existing Agile teams as well as ramp up a new Agile team. Facilitated workshops for all roles on an Agile team (Iteration Managers, Business Analysts, Testers, Developers) as well as coaching both at the Project Management level and at the engineering level. Effectively transitioned manual testers to become effective members of Agile teams while teaching them new skills in Agile Testing and Test Automation. By focusing on integrity, honesty and delivery of real results, gained the trust of all levels of management, providing opportunities to address challenges throughout the IT organization.
Independent Consultant; Dallas, Texas — 5 February, 2001 - 11 October, 2009
- Training/Facilitation: developed and facilitated courses for XP Engineering Practices, Agile, Test-Driven Development (Java, C#), Pair Programming, Refactoring (Java, C#), Continuous Integration and Automated Testing for the Java technology stack and the .Net technology stack. Worked with development teams both in the United States and abroad, covering 5 continents and close to a dozen countries.
- Clients included: Sabre Holdings (including travelocity.com, getthere.com, lastminute.com, igougo.com, zuji.com, nexion, synxis), Nationwide, NEC America, Transamerica, JC Penney, Radiant Systems, and other Fortune 500 companies.
Development Lead, Sabre; Fort Worth, Texas — 1998 - 4 February, 2001
- Technical Lead: consistently helped new developers become productive team members in timeframes measured in weeks. Responsible for prototyping solutions when necessary. Directed the team’s efforts in upgrading and maintaining production systems. Implemented a source control process to insure the safety of intellectual property. Implemented a disaster recovery plan, including backup scheduling and automation, the remote storage of backups, as well as defining and implementing failover processes.
- Programmer/Analyst: enhanced, debugged and maintained server applications written in Visual C++ that retrieved data from the SABRE system and stored it in a SQL Server Database. Enhanced, debugged and maintained a suite of client applications written in Visual Basic. Provided maintenance and enhancement support for a proprietary Sabre dll and COM wrapper for the dll. Maintained Apple Macintosh applications utilizing Metrowerks Codewarrior 4.
- Subject Matter Expert: provided technical and business logic support for the development team. Conducted system training with new developers on database architecture, systems administration, and source control.
Independent Consultant; Dallas, Texas — 1989-1998
- Provided hardware and software support, including some custom software development to many companies in several industries, including: print, freight, medical/dental, not-for-profit, hospitality, and accounting. Performed everything from building PC's and installing the OS and software applications, to setting up LAN's (including running CAT5 cable, setting up routers, servers and bridges), to customizing accounting software (BPI Accounting, written in Business BASIC).
- Performed customer training on: operating systems, software applications, disaster recovery, and systems configuration/administration.
- Clients included: Mandalay Hotels, Halliburton, Nortel.
Computer Consultant, Software Carousel; Grand Rapids, Michigan — 1987-1989
- Provided hardware and software support to clients, including some software development.
- Developed software enhancements for the BPI Accounting system using Business BASIC.
Software Developer, SCS Inc.; Jennison, Michigan — 1986-1987
- Developed insurance quoting and comparison software for both Homeowners and Auto insurance on a Wang mini-computer, utilizing Wang BASIC.
C++ for C Programmers, Productivity Point International (PPI), 17 March 2000
C Programming, Grand Rapids Junior College, 1990
Diploma from the School of Music, Cornerstone College, 1988
Music (performing and composition), Graphic Arts, Reading, Go (Weiqi)