Time Line for Salisbury Township, Lancaster County
Jurassic Age—2,100,000 B.C.—A footprint of a coelurosaur dinosaur was found in Spring Garden.
Pleistocene Era, 2 million B.C.—A mammoth molar was found at White Horse.
1644—A fur trader in Kingsessing, Philadelphia referred to “The Gap-in-the-Hills” as a route for
his Indian fur traders.
1697—William Penn gave the Shawnee permission to live along the Pequea Creek.
Sixty Shawnee families settled at the mouth of the Pequea Creek with Opessah as their
1701—William Penn came through the Gap-in-the-Hills on his way to Conestoga to sign a
treaty with the Indians there. The Penn Rock commemorates his supposed stay there over
night. The three chiefs were Pomayjoogh (Opessa), Napatha, and Tomaytungh.
1701—Robert Barrow bought 300 acres in 1701 and transferred it to his daughter Rebeka in
1713. This purchase became the main acreage of Buena Vista.
1709/10—Robert Gault settled in Salisbury Township.
1724—Pequea Presbyterian Church was founded
1726, August 13 —Francis Jones received a license for his tavern in the Gap-of –the Hills.
African-American slaves first came to Lancaster County.
1728-1734—The Haines/ Reeser/ Skiles house was built.
1729, May 10 —Lancaster County was formed.
1729, June 9—Samuel Jones at Postlewaite’s tavern helped to name Salisbury Township.
1729—Daniel Cookson had built the first mill in White Horse by that date.
1733—Alexander McCamant took out a warrant for 365 acres.
1733—The building of the King’s Highway, Philadelphia-Lancaster Pike, the Old Road (Rt. 340)
Samuel Blythe built a log mill on the Pequea Creek (where Rt. 772 crosses over it.)
John Miller has a tavern, Miller-at-the Tun” to become Waterloo.
1734—The Haines/Reeser/Skiles house had been built on Churchtown Road..
1734— Isaac Haines built Mt. Rock mill for John and William Gault
1736—Francis Jones gets a Patent for White Chimneys and Belmont (200 acres)
1740—The White Horse Inn was built.
1750—The Old Eastern Hotel was built by Francis and Isabella Leech near the Sadsbury
1762—Henry Skiles built the log house in Springville.
1767—Hans Blank settled in Cains, the first Amish person to own land in Salisbury Township.
Jacob and Elizabeth Kurtz built the spring house on the Wanner farm to live in while
They built their colonial home.
1768—William Brisben built his house near the Leacock Township line on the King’s Highway.
1769—Rev. Robert Smith founded the Classical Academy near Pequea Presbyterian Church..
1774—James Clemson and John Whitehill were at the Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
1774—Henry Skiles, a Tory, was accused of murder, and escaped to Nova Scotia.
1776— Henry Slaymaker was put on the commission to compile a new Constitution for the
Lancaster County had 200 slaves.
1788—George McDill received a Penn Grant for 243 acres, which became Puddin’town/
1779—Henry Slaymaker purchased what was to become White Chimneys west of Gap.
1779—Jasper Yeates bought Belmont from Henry Slaymaker and created a summer mansion.
1785—Daniel Buckley built his forge on the Pequea Creek on the present Rt. 897.
1788—James Kennedy bought 465 acres which comprised what is modern Gap.
1792—Congress voted 300,000 to build the Philadelphia-Lancaster Turnpike.
The Rising Sun Tavern was built by James Kennedy on the new Turnpike.
The Hersheys, Horsts and Hesses began the first Mennonite congregation in Salisbury
1793—The Mast Post Office building was erected on Churchtown Road..
1794—The Sign of the John Adams Inn was built by David Ostler for Amos Slaymaker on
the Philadelphia-Lancaster Turnpike.
1794-95—The Philadelphia Lancaster Turnpike was finished.
1797—The Houston/Frantz mill was built built by John Anderson northwest of Gap.
1800—The congregation of Old Road Mennonite Church began.
1802—Abraham and Nancy Dierdorf bought 200 acres on which he planned a new county
taking parts of northern Lancaster and western Chester Counties.
1804—The first Post Office came to Gap.
1806—Tobias Wanner entered Salisbury Township.
1806—The Buena Vista school was built, the oldest school in Lancaster County in continuous
1806—The Gap Post Office is moved to “The Sign of John Adams” inn and called Salisbury.
1807—Samuel Martin built a woolen factory on Plankk Road
1811—Abraham Dierdorf laid out streets in Cambridge for a county seat.
1812—Elihu McCamant has the McCamant Mansion built.
1813—The Asbury Methodist Church on Simmontown Road moved to Gap
and built a church naming it the Gap Methodist Church.
Mt. Pleasant school was built.
1813-1869—John Myers served as Justice of the Peace in Salisbury Township.
1815—Matthew Henderson built the second mill at White Horse.
1816—James and John Buyers built a general store on Newport Road at Buyerstown.
John Spotts arrved in Meadville.
1817—Maxwell Kennedy built Bellevue next to the Rising Sun Ravern.
1820—Abraham Dierdorf had to auction off his property because of deep debt.
1823—Bellevue Presbyterian church was founded in Gap near the railroad.
1824—The Cambridge Quaker Meeting House was built.
Christian Oberholser came to Salisbury Township.
1825—The Marquis de Lafayette had lunch at White Chimneys on July 7.
Wilson’s Mill was erected by John Wilson at Buena Vista.
1827—Robert Baldwin, school teacher came to Cains to reside at The Bull’s Head.
1828—John Cain was made Postmaster of Cains Post Office.
Jonathan Pounder moved to the Welsh Mountain to practice a Pounder-based
The Pequea Post Office was established in White Horse on January 5.
The Whitehill school was built.
The Cambridge Schoolhouse was built.
The house and barn of the “Caleb Brinton” house was built on White Horse Road.
1829—Henry Slaymaker built a red brick hotel for the workers building the railroad and two
other public houses near the railroad tracks..
1830—Robert Baldwin and John Cains opened a store in Cains.
Robert Springer, in Mt. Airy, created a turtle-shaped basket for farmers to use in
1831—Reuben Chambers set up a printing press in Bethania, his new name for Puddin’town.
Jacob Wanner built his house on Plank Road.
1832—Thomas G. Henderson built the third mill in White Horse.
Reuben Chambers opposed Andrew Jackson’s presidential bid by entering his
own ticket for the office. During Jackson’s terms as President, Bethania became
1833—The Methodist Episcopal church in Cambridge was dedicated.
1834—The Hess (Hershey) church was built in New Milltown..
The first train of the Philadelphia Columbia Railroad came to Gap.
April 18, 1000 cattle from Chicago passed through Bethania on their way to
1835—Edward Y. Buchanan and family moves to Dr. Shippen’s house on Plank Road.
1837—Passenger service for the Pennsylvania-Columbia railroad opened in Gap.
1838—Colonel Joseph Baker built the Mansion House on the west side of the railroad
1841—The Old Road Mennonite Meeting House was built.
1843—Robert Baldwin built his store and home on the corner of Cains Road and the Old
1846—A rectory was purchased in Cains by St. John’s Pequea, Compass.
1844—Nathaniel Burt bought Waterloo between Compass and Cains on the King’s Highway.
The Pequea Baptist church was built in Cains
The Mt. Airy school was built.
1846—A rectory was purchased in Cains by St. John’s Pequea, Compass.
1847—The Fassitt mansion was built.
A school was built in New Milltown.
1848—Mt.Airy Evangelical Congregational Church was built.
1849—Robert Baldwin was elected to the State Legislature.
1849—St. Peter’s Church was built in Mt. Airy.
1851—The Keystone Roller mill was built by John Newhouser.
Henderson/Skiles building was the store and post office in White Horse.
Mast and Stevenson had begun the Mast store.
January 5, the Cambridge Post office established.
The Christiana Riot occurred.
1852—Henry Worst built the Spring Garden Hotel.
1852—The Kennedy-Ellmaker house was built on the Philadelphia-Lancaster Turnpike.
1853—John Coates Walker came to Gap.
1855—Henry Rhoads bought the store property in Buena Vista. Rhoads’ store is still in
1856—James Buchanan delivered a campaign speech from the second tier porch of
the Baker Mansion House in Gap.
1857—Jacob and Fanny Reeser Mast moved to Salisbury Township in 1837. Jacob was an
1859—Daniel Plank built his home and store in Cambridge.
The John Brown band formed in Cambridge.
Waterloo school was built on Churchtown Road..
1862—Jacob Barr bought the lime-burning business in Limeville.
J.C. Walker built his mansion on Chestnut St. in Gap.
Dr. Alexander G.B. Parke located in Gap.
1863—The Rosehill carriage works were founded.
1865—The Penn Monument Hall was built in Gap.
Buyerstown Post Office began.
1870—Joseph Frantz built his mansion on the east side of what was to become Rt. 897.
1871—Lapp’s Post Office was installed. (Buena Vista)
1872—The Gap Town Clock was purchased and installed in the Penn Monument Hall cupola.
Philip Wertz purchased a log house and one acre from Sarah Lemmon and gave the name
1875—A cigar factory replaced the coach factory at Buyerstown.
1876—The Gap Methodist church was dedicated.
1877—The Pequea Church of the Evangelical Association was dedicated
1878—Millwood Amish Mennonite congregation was formed.
1879—The Walker/Worst house was built on the Penn Spring property by Isaac Walker.
1880—The Buyerstown school was built.
On Umble town Road, Roseneath school’s first records appear.
1881—The Meadville United Brethren Church was dedicated July 31.
Limeville United Brethren broke ground.
1882—The railroad cut at Gap was begun and completed in 1883.
1883—The Gap National Bank was principally organized by Joseph C. Coates and chartered.
The Mast Post Office is established.
The Gap Harmony School is built.
The Gap National bank was chartered and opened March 2.
J.C. Walker and James Eby built the Walker-Eby building in Gap.
1882—The Millwood Meetinghouse was erected on Amish Road.
The Limeville United Methodist Church was dedicated.
The Pennsylvania Railroad lowered the tracks.
Pequea Avenue in Gap was formed.
1884—The Gap Passenger and Freight Stations were built.
The Creamery was built in Gap on Pequea Avenue by George Wenger.
The Quakers, Presbyterians and Methodists brought relief to the suffering poor in the
1885—Joseph Coates Walker built the red brick grain elevator on Pequea Avenue in Gap.
The Gap National bank building was erected
1886—Mt. Hope Chapel was built in Mt. Airy.
A school was built for “colored” children in Mt. Airy.
The Bellevue Hotel in Gap was built by William Carpenter.
Dr. John Martin Slaymaker began his practice in Gap.
1887—The Millwood school is built on Amish Road..
The Pequea Evangelical Congregational Church was built west of White Horse.
1890—William C. Robinson began his blacksmith shop in Spring Garden.
The Pequea Post Office (White Horse) had an express and telegraph office.
The Portner house was built in 1890 on Railroad Avenue and served as Portner’s
1891—Robert Baldwin was elected to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
1893—The Walker-Eby building was constructed in Gap across from Walker’s feed mill.
Christian Kauffman disguised as one of the notorious Clemson gang obtained evidence
that led to the Gang’s incarceration.
The Alert Post Office in Meadville was established.
1894—The new Gap clock tower was built.
1895—The Ledger Post Office began service. (Spring Garden)
1898—The Mennonite Mission bought land for an industrial mission that eventually became the
Welsh Mountain Home.
1899—Vinola Post Office in Mt. Airy was established.
1900—The Cambridge Union church was built on the grounds of the former Methodist church.
Dr. Hostetter began his practice in White Horse.
Dr. George Bair Hershey began his practice in Gap.
The first telephone exchange began operating in Gap.
1901—Patton Spotts built a blacksmith shop that evolved into a creamery and feed mill in
The Salisbury (Slaymaker property) school opened.
1903—Dr. John R.B. Martin located in Gap.
The Union Sabbath School began in Cambridge.
1906, July7—The first trolley came to Gap.
1907—Salisbury High School was built at White Horse.
1908—Sylvester Fryberger sold 130 acres to the Welsh Mountain Industrial Mission to expand.
1910, August 12—The Gap Fire Company was organized.
The first Gap baseball team began to play.
1913, September 16—A fire burned many buildings at the village of White Horse.
1914—Salisbury Fire Company #1 was organized at White Horse.
A Boy Scout Troop began in Gap.
1915—The Gap Consolidated School was built.
1916—Robert Reed drove a truck with two pneumatic tires in the front and two solid tires
in the back.
LaRue Robinson built an addition to his blacksmith shop in Spring Garden to study
the innards of a car for the purpose of starting a machine shop.
1918 to 1948—Milton Slaymaker,builder, constructed signature barns and in Salisbury and
Harry and Al Eckert established the first car business in Gap.
1919—Edmund Ebelhar bought the store in Cambridge.
1920—Paul and Viola Lawrence open a restaurant in Gap. It continued until 1985.
Wallace McCamant, former judge in Oregon great grandson of Salisbury Township’s James McCamant, nominated Calvin Coolidge for Vice President with Warren Harding.
1922—William Chester Ruth, inventor, opened his blacksmith and welding shop in Gap at the
site of Harry and Al Eckert’s car business.
Marshall Miller formed the Gap Male Chorus.
1924—Chester Ruth received a Patent for his invention, the combination baler-feeder.
The Eastern Mennonite Mission Board began building the Welsh Mountain
Retirement Home and Mission.
The first Gap fire house was built on Pequea Avenue.
David Hartzler built a new ice plant in Gap.
1929—Cyrus and Bob Reed founded C.M. Reed & Sons.
1930—Dr. Beacher began his practice in Gap.
The stretch from White Horse to Compass received electricity.
John Showalter built a macadam road from White Horse to the Chester County line.
1931—George Summers started a plumbing business in Gap.
Clement Baldwin build Baldwin’s garage.
1932—The last trolley ran through Gap.
1935—Mennnonite missionaries began a two-week Bible school, the nucleus of the Meadville
1936—Cyrus and Bob Reed move their calves, poultry and egg business begun in 1929 to the
Scott-Creamery building in White Horse.
1937—The electrification of the Railroad was accomplished.
Cambridge Road was blacktopped.
1938—All races went to the same school in Mt. Airy.
1942—A Girl Scout Troop began in Gap.
1947—David Hartzler put in food lockers by his ice plant.
The Thresher’s Reunion was held, which event led to the building of the Rough and
1946—William (Bill) Jacobs in cooperation with the Conservation Service had new conversion
dutches dug on the ground above the Pequea Creek and introduced strip-farmng.
1949—Lawrence’s Restaurant moved to the Lincoln Highway.
1950—The Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association was formed on November 24.
The Meadville Mennonite church was built.
The Gap Fire Company broke ground for a new building.
1951—The Pennsylvania Railroad train stopped for the last time at Gap.
Cub Pack 59 began in Gap.
1952—rt. 340 was rebuilt, cutting off hills, widening the road and rebuilding bridges.
1953—Route 41 was constructed through Gap.
Violet Baker spearheaded the effort to save the Gap Town Clock from the path of Route
Marcus Byler established a supermarket opposite the present Kennedy-Ellmaker house.
Pequea Valley School District was formed.
1959—The Limeville Quarry began its business on Lime Quarry Road.
1959—The Gap Diner, called Kullman Diner, was built and began operation.
1960—Salisbury Elementary School was built on Buena Vista Road.
1962—The Pequea Amish Mennonite Church was built.
1966—The Grace Full Gospel church was built in Mt. Airy.
1969—Nancy Sandoe was instrumental in establishing the Welsh Mountain Community Center.
1972—Planning Commissions were mandated for each Township. The first zoning officer,
Robert Mast, was hired.
Gap View Mennonite Church was founded.
1973—Baldwin Electric Company was formed.
The White Horse Machine Shop opened at the corner of Rt. 897 (formerly State Road)
and Rt. 340
1975—Martin Limestone Inc. was formed on the site of The Limeville Quarry.
Faith Mennonite High School was founded on Mine Road.
1975-76—The Pequea Carriage Shop opened for business.
1980—The Gospel Tabernacle was built.
1982—Faith Mennonite High School was built on Smyrna Road.
1982—Salisbury Township upgraded snow removal equipment and other modern motorized
equipment as needed.
1983, March 3 —County Line Medical Center opened.
1984—The first sewage plant in Salisbury Township was built in Gap.
1984 to 1996—The Township built a ten-bay service garage, warehouse and storage area and
converted the original garage to offices with a conference and large meeting room.
1984—Millers Service Center was established
1984 to 2000—Roads were realigned and located for safety improvements.
1984 to 2000—Farmland was preserved with Effective Agricultural Zoning, 17,924 acres and
Agricultural Security, 13, 582 acres.
1985—Marcus Byler established Byler’s Market where Hartzler’s was.
1986-1988—Twenty-one bridges were replaced and constructed.
1989—The Salisbury Township Park was formed.
The Country Gift and Thrift bought the White Horse Store from Lloyd and Marvin
1990—The Rosehill Development and a new sewage plant was built on the original John
1992—The Hillside Carriage Shop began its business.
1996—The Village of Gap was formed at Lincoln highway and many businesses moved in.
William J.L. Walker retired from Walker & Sons and sold it to Harry Gudrun.
1997—Alfred Wanner implemented an anaerobic manure digestion system to produce methane
for electricity production.
1999 to 2000—Another sewage plant was constructed in Gap.
2000—On June 15, the Historical Society of Salisbury Township was organized and founded.
2001—Gap celebrated the Tricentennial of William Penn visiting the Gap and being escorted by three Indian chiefs spring on his way to Conestoga where he signed a treaty with the them and other chiefs.
2001—The Kennedy-Ellmaker house was restored and converted to a bed and breakfast by the
Auntie Anne Corporation.
2008—The Gap Family Community Center was built.