Victoria Insight Meditation Society (VIMS)
Minutes of the Victoria IMS Council
June 4, 2012
A meeting of the VIMS council was held at the home of Rod House, Victoria, B.C. on June 4, 2012. The meeting commenced at 1 p.m. with a brief meditation.
Present: Brock Brown chair
Joyce Elliott retreat operations
June Fukushima treasurer
John Hilditch secretary
Rod House technology and communications
1. Approval of the agenda: Several additions were suggested. It was moved by June Fukushima that the agenda be approved as modified. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
2. Approval of the minutes of the May 4, 2012 meeting. It was moved by Joyce Elliott that the minutes be approved as circulated. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
3. Business Arising from the minutes and updates:
4. June presented the treasurer’s report. As of May 31 there is a balance of $6,876.21 in our accounts, $4,336.73 in the chequing account and $2,539.48 in the savings account. John Hilditch moved that the treasurer’s report be received. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented. June will include brief financial reports in the next few newsletters.
5. June Fukushima moved that Microsoft Office Suite be purchased for the treasurer’s computer. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
6. The communications group has developed Web Posting Guidelines. All postings to our website will relate to our programs or related Buddhist items. These guidelines will be posted on the website. Rod pointed out that lack of resources (people and time) prevents us from expanding into other areas such as activities of sangha members. Joyce pointed out that some local Vipassana organizations do not have links to VictoriaIMS. The communications group will request that these links be established.
Security has become an issue in the software “Wordpress”, a software used in managing our website. To increase our security he recommends that we purchase site security software offered by our host provider. Brock Brown moved that we purchase this security software for less than $20 per year. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
7. Grace Golightly has offered our sangha the use of several photos taken at the Spirit Rock Center. The council thanks Grace for her generosity.
8. The council discussed the need to recruit additional members. Rod asked that council size and terms of office be discussed at the next meeting.
9. The council spent considerable time planning retreats and other programs for 2013, with some discussion of 2014. We will place added emphasis on programs for those new to Vipassana meditation.
10. Courses for 2012: Margo plans to offer an 8-week course in the fall on the eight-fold path. Brock plans to offer an introductory course.
11. Social Event: Brock and Rod will act as co-sponsors for a sangha social event and will seek someone to help with a pot-luck component. The event is planned for mid-July, possibly July 18 or 19.
12. The next meeting will be held at the home of John Hilditch on July 16 at 1 p.m.
The meeting terminated at 3:50
Brock Brown, Chair John Hilditch, Secretary