Cranberry Crumb Bars
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal*
- 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 of an orange (about 3 tablespoons)
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 inch pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Spray with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together 1 cup sugar, flour, almond flour, salt and baking powder. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Mix in the egg until it all comes together. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan. Place reserved half aside.
- In another bowl, stir together ⅔ cup sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and orange juice. Mix in the cranberries. Sprinkle the cranberry mixture evenly over the dough in the pan.
- Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the remaining dough, then crumble dough over the berries. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until top is a light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack then transfer to the refrigerator to chill before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
*To make your own almond meal: Pulse in a food processor until finely ground. Put ground almond meal in a clean flour sifter. Sift almond meal. Place any large particles of almonds back in food processor and pulse again. Sift remaining almond meal.
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com