Gluten-Free Flatbread with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
The sauce takes longer so you'll want to start that and then make the flatbread while the onions and peppers are in the oven.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
1/4 cup packed fresh basil
1 red pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put ingredients (except for basil) in a small baking dish and toss evenly. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425. Take the dish out of the oven, stir the ingredients, then put it back in for 10 minutes (with the foil still on).
- Remove the dish from the oven and use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to a food processor. Add the basil and process until just smooth.
1 cup tapioca flour/starch
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 6 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt until completely mixed. Set aside.
- In a second smaller bowl, stir the flaxseed meal with 6 Tbsp of water. Add the apple cider vinegar, grapeseed oil, and water, and mix together.
- Pour the liquid into the flour, stirring until a ball of dough is formed.
- Grease a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal or rice flour. Roll the dough directly on the cookie sheet into a flat rectangle. It should reach all four sides of the sheet. (If you can't do that because your cookie sheet has sides to it, try rolling it onto a piece of parchment paper. It will be easy to transfer to the cookie sheet that way.)
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Take out and spread with the red pepper sauce (and ricotta cheese if you're using it), then put back in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out and eat hot.
Makes 1 cookie sheet sized flatbread
Find the original recipe at The Daily Dietribe.