Orange Gingerbread Cookies with Rum Glaze
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated zest from 1 orange
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened slightly
- ¾ cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons milk, divided
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Adjust the oven racks to the upper- and lower-middle positions and heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place brown sugar and zest in the bowl of a food processor, process together until combined, about 30 seconds. Remove cover of food processor and add flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda, and salt; process until combined. Sprinkle the butter evenly over the dry ingredients and process until sandy; about 15 seconds. Add molasses and two tablespoons of milk; process dough until it comes together and is evenly moistened.
- Divide dough in half and roll into ¼ inch thickness between two sheets of parchment paper. Place in refrigerator at least one hour or place in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, until firm.
- Once firm, remove parchment from dough and cut out cookies using a 3 inch round cutter. Place on prepared baking sheets spacing cookies 1 inch apart. Bake until centers are just set, 8 to 11 minutes. rotating the baking sheets halfway through. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 5 minutes; using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners sugar, rum, and remaining 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Spread a heaping teaspoon of glaze on each cookie; let dry 30 minutes before serving.
Yields: about 30 cookies
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com