Genetic Modification & Biotechnology Notes
- Explain how gel electrophoresis is used to separate proteins or fragments of DNA according to size.
- Explain how PCR can be used to amplify small amounts of DNA.
- Identify how DNA profiling compares DNA.
- Describe how genetic modification is carried out.
- Describe natural methods of cloning found in nature.
- Describe how animals can be cloned.
- Describe methods for cloning adult animals using differentiated cells.
- Explain the use of DNA profiling in paternity and forensic investigations.
- Explain how and why gene transfer to bacteria using plasmids makes use of restriction endonucleases and DNA ligase.
- Assess the potential risks associated with genetic modification of crops.
- Assess the potential benefits associated with genetic modification of crops.
- Explain the production of cloned embryos produced by somatic-cell nuclear transfer.
- Skill: Design of an experiment to assess one factor affecting the rooting of stem-cuttings.
- Skill: Analysis of examples of DNA profiles.
- Skill: Analysis of data on risks to monarch butterflies of Bt crops.