Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal
Serves 1 hearty breakfast portion or two petite portions
* 2 tsp non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
* 1/2 cup steel cut oats
* 1 1/2 cups hot water
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
* 1 pinch of salt
* 1/2 cooking apple, diced
* 1/4 cup soy, oat, or nut milk
* 1-2 tsp brown sugar ( or regular sugar with a small drizzle of molasses )
* 1 tiny pinch nutmeg, optional
1. Heat margarine in a small sauce pot that has a tight fitting lid. Add oats and toast them for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add cinnamon and salt, stir well. Stir in hot water and bring to a brisk boil. Cover and turn down heat. After 15 minutes, add apple, milk, and sugar and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
2. If after 5 minutes you'd prefer your oatmeal to be thicker, cover and turn off heat and let sit for an additional 5-10 minutes. This gives the oats a chance to absorb more liquid without running the risk of burning the oatmeal. Also, the oatmeal at this point is approximately the temperature of magma, so you might as well let it cool down a bit before you dig in.
3. If you feel like dressing up your oatmeal, drizzle it with a small amount of molasses and a pinch of nutmeg, or sprinkle it with additional brown sugar, or add a fresh apple slice or two to the top.