Everyday Carrot Cake
Free of gluten, dairy, and soy
Created by Carrie Forbes @ gingerlemongirl.com
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups carrots, finely shredded
1/4 cup Smart balance oil
1/4 cup low fat yogurt, silken tofu, or applesauce
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8" square baking pan (or line with parchment paper). Dust pan lightly with sweet rice flour.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
3. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add shredded carrots, oil, yogurt, and beaten eggs.
4. Stir together until well incorporated and pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Cool cake completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
3 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, brought to room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. agave nectar (may need more depending on desired thickness)
Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla and agave nectar. Beat together until mixture is the consistency of creamy frosting. Add additional agave nectar if desired. Spread on cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.
Dairy Free/Casein Free Frosting Option:
**Visit this site for an excellent casein free/dairy free white frosting for this cake!
All Rights Reserved. COPYRIGHT © 2007-2011 Gingerlemongirl.com