Malted Milk Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookies:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Creme Filling:
- 5 ounces vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, at room temperature
- 3 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon light rum
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, malt, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until just incorporated. Add half of the dry ingredients and beat for 15 seconds. Scrape down the bowl, then add the remaining dry ingredients and beat until just incorporated.
- Divide the dough into two balls and tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide each dough ball in half, to make four portions. Place one portion on a lightly floured work surface and return the other three portions to the refrigerator.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookies cutter, cut out cookies and transfer them to the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch of space around each cookie. Re-roll extra dough scraps.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they are slightly browned. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the shortening and butter until smooth. Add the sugar in three parts, mixing after each addition. Add the salt, vanilla and rum, beat for 10 seconds. The filling should be thick but spreadable. (like the inside of an Oreo)
- To assemble the cookies, shape cream filling into 2 tablespoon sized balls. Place cream filling ball into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
Yields: 30 cookies
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com