STATE COLLEGE COMMUNITY THEATRE
POSITION: PRODUCTION STAFF -- DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: PRODUCTION ASSISTANT(S)
To provide artistic direction and organization for specific production
- Provide artistic direction for entire theatrical production
- Prepare for and conduct open auditions and participate in the casting session on the dates determined by the Board of Directors
- Develop artistic concept for the production and communicate this concept to the Production Assistants, Stage Manager, Costume Designer, Properties, Scenic Designer, Master Carpenter, Scenic Artist, Lighting Designer, Sound Designer, Apprentice Coord., and if applicable, Music Director, Conductor, and Choreographer.
- Determine required props with Stage Manager detail any special requirements, and communicate these requirements to Designers.
- Develop rehearsal schedule with Stage Manager, Music Director (if applicable) and Choreographer (if applicable). Schedule must comply with SCCT rules regarding rehearsals. The Co-Producers or Production Assistants must approve exceptions.
- Attend all rehearsals and production meetings.
- Attend all technical and dress rehearsals, including lighting cue-to-cue rehearsal.
- Maintain Director responsibilities throughout run of show
- Assist with the load-in of the show
- Provide a workshop for the SCCT Apprentice Program in consultation with the Apprentice Coordinator, if requested.
Preferred: Previous directing experience
Ability to effectively communicate with cast, production staff, production assistants, Board of Directors, and general public in timely, efficient and respectful manner.
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, community theatre environment composed of volunteers and professionals of varying ages and levels of talent.
- High standards of integrity
- Good organizational skills
- Effective computer skills
- Skill in caring for detail and accuracy
- Must have Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History) and Act 34 (Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Check) clearances
- The Director is expected to enforce and follow the rules and regulations established by the Board of Directors as well as to promote the educational mission of SCCT
- Salary: $100 per production to be paid on closing night of the production
- Benefits: 2 Complimentary Tickets
- If someone fulfills multiple roles of the production team, they get the largest stipend as listed and any additional stipend at half of the listed rate.
- If the Director leaves the production during the rehearsal period, the honorarium may be forfeited or reduced at the discretion of the Producers in consultation with the Board of Directors.
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the co-producers and Board of Directors after each production. The Board of Directors reserves the right to survey cast and production staff members for feedback following a production.