This position reports to the Producers. All production/artistic staff positions ultimately report to the producers. In the event of irresolvable disputes among the production/artistic staff, the decision of the Producers shall be final.
- Provide artistic direction for arena theatre production in consultation with the Producers.
- Prepare for and conduct open auditions and participate in the casting session on the dates determined by the Board of Directors.
- Develop artistic concept for the production and communicate this concept to the Producers, Scenic Designer, Master Carpenter, Costume Designer, Lighting Designer, Stage Manager, Sound Technician, Apprentice Coordinator, and (if applicable) Vocal Music Director, Conductor, and Choreographer.
- Determine required props with Stage Manager, detail any special requirements, and communicate these requirements to Designers.
- Develop rehearsal schedule with Stage Manager, in consultation with Vocal Music Director and Choreographer, if applicable. Schedule must comply with SCCT rules regarding rehearsals. The Producers must approve exceptions.
- Attend all rehearsals and production meetings.
- Attend all technical and dress rehearsals, including lighting cue-to-cue rehearsal.
- Provide a workshop for the SCCT Apprentice Program in consultation with the Apprentice Coordinator, if requested.
- Must possess strong directing background (arena theatre experience highly desirable).
- Must possess strong oral communication skills and be able to work in a team-oriented, community theatre environment composed of volunteers and professionals of varying ages and levels of talent.
- Must have or be willing to apply for Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History) and Act 34 (Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Check) clearances.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are age 21 or older.
- The Director is expected to enforce and follow the rules and regulations established by the Board of Directors as well as to promote the educational mission of SCCT.
- An honorarium of $500 will be paid to the Director on opening night.
- If the Director leaves the production during the rehearsal period, the honorarium may be forfeited or reduced at the discretion of the Producers in consultation with the Board of Directors.