- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 recipe of tzatziki
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 pitas
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano. Transfer mixture to a large resealable bag and add the chicken. Refrigerate for about an hour, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Grill chicken until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side, or until meat thermometer inserted into the chicken read 160 degrees F. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
- Wrap pitas in aluminium foil and place directly on oven rack and heat for 6-8 minutes.
- Divide chicken strips evenly among pitas; top each gyro with 1/4 cup tzatziki sauce, tomato slices, red onion slices, and 2 tablespoons feta. Wrap aluminium foil around gyro and serve immediately.
Yields: 4 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com