Overnight Cherry Danish
2 packages (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm 2% milk
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tspn salt
1 cup cold butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups warm half-and-half cream
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
2 tbsp butter, softened
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 tspn vanilla extract
dash of salt
4 to 5 tbsp half-and-half cream
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream, and egg yolks; stir until mixture forms a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch down the dough; divide into quarters. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 4-in. rectangle; cut into 1-in. x 4-in. strips.
- Place 2 strips side by side; twist together. Shape into a ring; pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2 inch deep indentation in the center of each roll. Fill each with about a tbsp of cherry pie filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, salt, and enough cream to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls.