Vance Stevens, Rita Zeinstejer, Jennifer Verschoor
Round-table discussions “Baffled in Cyberspace”
to be held, August 9 and 10, 2010 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Learn about exploring Internet tools and how to integrate them into Language Learning, from the expertise of the creator of Webheads in Action (http://webheads.info and http://webheadsinaction.org/about, the Online Community of Practice (CoP) made up of educators from all over the world.
Vance Stevens will present on two occasions in Buenos Aires, Argentina on the work done at the PI and in online teacher professional development groups such as Webheads in Action on integrating technology into the curriculum, from the perspective of training both students and their teachers. The talks will be given in conjunction with two teachers in Argentina who are organizing the event (both long-standing participants in Webheads in Action), Jennifer Verschoor and Rita Zeinstejer.
Plan for the sessions:
- For the first 15 min we talk about the CoP through which we interact throughout the year: Webheads in Action.
- Vance talks about how he formed the CoP, Webheads in Action:
- Join webheads: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads/
- Chat live with Webheads any Sunday noon GMT (9:00 a.m. in Argentina and Brazil) until about 2:00 pm GMT or 11:00 a.m. at http://tappedin.org
- Slides 22 to 30 here: http://www.slideshare.net/vances/modeling-social-media-in-groups-communities-and-networks-socialnetworking-2009-online-conference
- Webheads as a group, community, network: http://www.slideshare.net/vances/the-webheads-and-distributed-communities-of-practice
- Rita will describe her experience as the first Webhead CoP participant in Argentina.
- Jennifer will talk about the connection with Webheads and her experiences in Japan and with ARCALL (Argentine Computer Assisted Language Learning, the professional organization of which she is President).
- We discuss the importance of Web 2.0 tools with respect to our teaching situations, and how we are integrating them into the classroom.
- Rita will talk about Blogs,
- Jennifer about Wikis,
- Vance about Tagging, the introduction to tags here:
- A written explanation: http://vancestevens.com/writing.htm
- Our ‘teaser’ for the 2007 K-12 Online Conference
- We discuss some advantages and affordances of integrating technology. We show various web pages that illustrate how we supplement our English textbooks.
- Vance does this interactively,
- audience thinks of a situation where they would like to integrate technology
- Vance and team try to think of a solution
- Problems and solutions are recorded here:
- At Pearson, Buenos Aires, the audience asked about:
- How to teach vocabulary. Suggested items
- What to do for Listening Practice: Suggested items
- randall’s ESL Lab,
- ESL Video,
- text to speech,
- odigo.com for reading blogs,
- At SBS Martinez, audiene interactions can be recorded here
- We focus on different Web 2.0 tools for different age and grade levels.
- Jennifer talks about web tools for young learners.
- Rita talks about web tools for teenagers.
- Invite students to share project work with students from other places
- Project with Buthaina Al-Othman in Kuwait on cultural differences
- Tandem project Rosario (learners of English) to Ohio (learners of Spanish) using http://podomatic.com
- Serendipity Project in 2007
- Writingmatrix writingmatrix.wikispaces.com/
- Korea / Argentine project
- We conclude by raising issues in using social networks in education.
- Jennifer talks about Social Networking, internet safety for young learners and Twitter for PLN
- Rita talks about her experience using Facebook and Twitter, Edmodo.
- Vance’s suggestions for starting your PLN on Twitter, Edmodo, etc:
- Vance did not get a chance to talk about developing personal learning networks using Web 2.0 in conjunction with Ning, Moodle, and Webheads in Action; however the full versionof this presentation is written out at: http://braz2010vance.pbworks.com/PLN with link to slides. Also the presentation will be delivered in full at the Escuela des Idiomas in La Plata on Aug 11, 2010
This document has been published as