PONY Girls Softball - East Zone “Rules of the Week” 1
2011 RULE CHANGES
- Section 1. Altered bat: removed the word “doctored”
- Section 14A. Charged conference : added 3. It is not a charged conference if the pitcher is removed from the pitching position
- Section 2. Foul Tip: changed def. to A batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catchers glove/mitt or hand and is legally caught by the catcher.
- Section 29. helmet: reworded def to: A form of protective headwear that must be approved by the NOCSAE. See rule 3 sec.9 for additional information.
- Section 3. 14U fast pitch pitching distance is 43 feet
- Section 3. Changed slow pitch pitching distances to: 10U 40 feet, 12u 46 feet, 14, 16, and 18U 50 feet
- Section 8. Added that ALL age groups from 10U up can wear metal cleats.
- Section 12. added the exception that electronic devices for scorekeeping purpose’s are permitted only in the dugout.
- Eliminated the DP/FLEX
- Section 6. added extra player
- EXTRA PLAYER
- Any team may use 1 or 2 extra players (EP) per game
- Must be made know at start of game
- Must be properly listed in the line up and can be listed anywhere in the line up
- If not listed on the lineup the EP is treated as a illegal player
- Must remain in the same position in the batting order for the entire game
- Can play defense anytime
- Can go in and out of the defensive lineup and it is not considered a substitution . As above must maintain her position in the batting order
- May be substituted for at any time with the new substitute listed as the EP
- The substitute must be a player that has not played
- If the EP has to leave the game and there is no substitute then the short handed rule applies.
- Amended section 7a: Section 7 states: A run shall not score if the third out of the inning is a result of:
- A. The batter being put out before legally touching the base. A runner being put out by a tag or live ball appeal prior to the preceding runner touching home plate. A preceding runner is declared out on an appeal play.
- Each of the above sentences become A. B, and C in 2011
- Changed slow pitch pitching distance from 35 to 40 feet for both Shetland (6U) and Pinto (8U)
- Rule 6 A, #11 has been clarified. In 2010 the section read: When the ball is in the possession of an infielder and the lead runner has stopped, time shall be called by the umpire. Now it reads: When the ball is in the possession of an infielder and in the judgment of the umpire all play has ceased … time shall be called by the umpire*
- Rule 6 B #10: Added that the coach pitcher must be listed as one of the coaches
- Rule 6 B #14: This was added to the Pinto rules: The player in the pitching position must remain in contact with the extension of the pitching rubber until the ball reaches home plate. Failure to remain in contact will result in a delayed dead ball.
- There is no penalty if the batter reaches first base safely and all base runners advance one base.
- If there is an out made on any base runner before they advance one base and the batter does not reach first safely then The ball is dead and all base runners will advance one base from the base they occupied at the time of the infraction.
- Rule 8, section 12: removed the play and ruling that was in the book last year.
- Rule 8, section 14: removed the DP/FLEX from the book
- Rule 9, section 8; They took the note from last years book about appeal plays and added it to i.
- Rule 9, section 10: added a F and G to the Courtesy Runner rule. (there is only an F. No G) F states: In the top of the 1st inning only, the pitcher and catcher are identified as those listed on the lineup card as pitcher and catcher. There after the pitcher and catcher are indentified as the last players who physically played the position on defense.
- If a sub enters in the following half inning and gets on base and the pitcher or catcher re enters no c/r can be used for the player in that ½ inning. (G?)
- Rule 10, section 1 h and play. Clarification of injured runner
- Rule 11, section 9: deleted effect and added c, d, e. Covers what ejected players, managers or coach must do whether its leaving the game or staying on the bench. Also covers what penalties are put in place for the use of illegal players.