Conditional Release Moodle ISU
Conditional Release allows the teacher to restrict access to activities according to conditions such as grades, dates, or the completion of other activities.
This guide will help you to:
- Restrict access to an activity or a resource, based on different criteria of Date, Grade, User Profile, and Restriction set.
Apply Conditional Release to an activity/resource
- Click Turn Editing On. For more information please see Overview Moodle ISU.
- Locate the activity/resource that you want to conditionally release to the students.
- Click on the Edit dropdown menu and Select Edit settings. This will take you to the editing page for the activity/resource.
Note: Different activities and resources will have different conditional release options.
Editing the Resource Page
1. Scroll down until you see the Restrict Access section.
2. Click on Add Restriction.
- To restrict access based on dates, Select Date.
- A Date block will appear under Access Restrictions.
- Click on the Dropdown menus to select from or until, the day, month, year and time that you wish to use as a restriction.
- To restrict access according to grades, Select Grade.
- A Grade block will appear under Access Restrictions. From the Dropdown menu, you can select:
- Course Total: This choice will use the course total grade as the condition. The course total is a student’s overall grade for the course.
- Category Total: This choice is only available if you have different categories in your Gradebook. Similar to course totals, a category total is a student’s overall grade for that category.
- An Activity: You can choose a specific activity from your course to use as a grade condition.
- Type the grade percentages for which you want to allow access to the activity into the Must Be ≥ % and < % text boxes.
Hot Tip: You can enter numbers into both boxes or into just one box.
Note: All grade conditions must be met in order for students to access the activity.
c. To restrict access based on a student’s profile, Select User Profile.
Note: Restricting access based on a user’s profile is essentially the same as restricting access based on groups. The criteria you choose (i.e, City/Town, First name, etc.) will enable the activity to be accessible by students who fall into those criterion.
- A User profile field block will appear.
- from the Dropdown menu, Select the criteria from which you would like to base this restriction.
- In the next Dropdown menu, Select how strictly you would like the criterion to filter the users (i.e, Contains, Starts with, etc.).
- In the final box, Enter your specifications.
- For example: If First name was selected and it was set to Start with a certain letter, you would Enter in that letter in the last box.
d. To add restrictions using a restriction set, Select Restriction Set.
i. A block will appear with an Add restriction button
ii. Click Add Restriction and Select which category you wish to use for the set.
- Repeat for each different category you wish to include in the set.
Hot Tip: You can use multiple of the same category in a set. For example, you can set more than one grade requirement, etc.
Once you have the settings in:
- Click Save and display to go to the assignment
- Click Save and return to course to be taken back to the main course page.
- Click Cancel to NOT save the assignment.
For more information, please see the help document below.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.