Restrict Access Moodle ISU
Restrict Access allows instructors to restrict access to activities according to conditions such as grades, dates, or the completion of other activities.
This guide will help you to:
Apply Access Restrictions to an Activity/Resource
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- Locate the activity/resource that you want to conditionally release to the students.
- From the Edit dropdown menu, Select Edit settings.
Note: Different activities and resources will have different access restrictions options.
Edit the Resource Page
- Scroll to the Restrict access section.
- Click Add restriction.
- A pop-up will appear and you will have a list of restrictions you may add.
Add Restriction Types
- Activity completion - This option will restrict access for a specific activity until students complete another activity.
- To restrict access based on completing another activity, Select Activity completion.
- From the Student dropdown menu, Select whether or not the student must match the options following.
- From the Choose dropdown menu, Select the assignment you wish your students to complete in order to gain access to this activity.
- Set the requirement for the previous activity status as:
- Must be marked as complete
- Must not be marked as complete
- Must be complete with pass grade
- Must be complete with fail grade
- Date - This option prevents a student from accessing an activity until a specific date and time.
- To restrict access based on dates, Select Date.
- A Date block will appear under Access restrictions.
- From the dropdown menus, Select the options appropriate for the access restriction.
- Grade - This option restricts students from accessing an activity until they earn a specific grade on another activity.
- To restrict access according to grades, Select Grade.
- A Grade block will appear under Access restrictions.
- From the dropdown menu, Select one of the following:
- Course total - this choice will use the course total grade as the condition.
- Category total - this choice is only available if you have categories set up in the gradebook.
- An activity - you can choose a specific activity from your course to use as a grade condition.
- In the Must be ≥ % and < % text boxes, Type the grade percentages for which you wish to allow access to the activity.
Note: You can enter numbers into both boxes or into just one box.
Note: All grade conditions must be met in order for students to access the activity.
- Group - This option allows you to set up an activity to be available for only a certain group. If an instructor sets this up, students in other groups will not have access to the activity.
- To set the Restrict access based on a group, Select Group.
- From the Group dropdown menu, Select a group to assign to the activity.
Note: You will need to set up your groups and groupings before adding groups as a restriction to your activity.
For more information, see Groups and Groupings
- Grouping - This option allows students access to an activity or resource within a group that has a specific grouping.
- To restrict access based on grouping, Select Grouping.
- A Grouping block will appear.
- From the Grouping dropdown menu, Select the grouping you wish to assign to the activity.
- User profile - This option allows an instructor to control a student's access to a specific activity or resource based upon an explicit field within a student's profile. For example, you can set up a restriction to an activity based upon a student’s city and town.
- To restrict access based on a student’s profile, Select User profile.
- A User profile field block will appear.
- From the dropdown menu, Select the criteria from which you would like to base this restriction.
- From the next dropdown menu, Select how strictly you would like the criterion to filter the users (i.e, Contains, Starts with, etc.).
- In the final box, Enter your specifications. For example: If First name was selected and it was set to Start with a certain letter, you would Enter in that letter in the last bo
- Restriction set - This is a complex setting that allows an instructor to add more than one restriction at a time. For example, you could restrict an activity based on date and grade earned in a separate activity.
- To add restrictions using a restriction set, Select Restriction set.
- A block will appear with an Add restriction button.
- Click Add restriction.
- Select which category you wish to use for the set.
- Repeat for each different category you wish to include in the set.
Note: You can use multiples of the same category in a set. For example, you can set more than one grade requirement.
Hide the Restrictions
Once you have the restriction set, you will have the option to either hide the content from the rest of your class or leave it so that everyone in the course may see it. However, only those who qualify for the restriction can complete the activity.
- There will be an eye icon next to the Restriction(s) you have set.
- If the eye is open, then students who do not meet the condition will see the activity.
- If the eye is crossed out, then students who do not meet the condition will not see the activity.
- Click Save and display to go to the activity.
- Click Save and return to course to be taken back to the course homepage.
- Click Cancel to delete changes to the activity.
For more information, see Restrict Access Settings
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.