Committee Reports December 2011

OUTREACH - Nov 22, 2011

Rahab Scarlet Cord Benefit Concert

Tirsten reported via email that the concert was a success, and we have received a “thank you” email from Rahab.

Westminster Dinners

Stacy has taken inventory of the kitchen.  Immediate needs are with larger pots and trays for busing tables, and we are researching options for a freezer.  She has brainstormed several possible menus under $300 (not including dessert or beverages), and there was discussion of whether there would be sufficient interest among the congregation to donate desserts.  The project is still in need of a point person to take care of scheduling, and a person/people to take on grocery shopping.  We have an estimate that insurance needs would involve about an additional $95/year.  

Christmas Baskets

Doug and Monte sent reports by email confirming the truck is confirmed and that preparations with Acme are on track.   Inserts were in the bulletin starting last Sunday and sign-ups in WHH will continue.  We will plan for announcements by Derek on the 27th and subsequent Sundays with a Minute for Mission on Dec 4.  

Salvation Army Bell Ringing

Sign-ups are continuing for  Acme #1 on 12/3/11, and Montrose Giant Eagle on 12/9/11

Les Morgan visit – Dec 1&2

There will be a coffee and dessert 12/1 at 7 pm for interested members to talk about the Morgans’ work in Bangladesh.  Pat will purchase some cookies.

School Support

Jim spoke with Ms. Walker, principal at Essex Elementary.   He will set up a time for a visit to the school including Jon and Pat to discuss the school’s needs.  We will then invite Ms. Walker to the January meeting.

Peacemaking Offering

A motion was made and carried to donate our 25% of the offering to the Infinite Legacy Project, earmarked for transportation

Gift Cards

The office has reported they are running out of the Acme and Circle K gift cards which they provide to people who come to the church doors requesting assistance.  A motion was made to allocate $100 each for cards from Acme and Circle K from Miscellaneous Social Outreach

Budget

Pat is going to check with Robin concerning the status of any funds in the budget which have not been allocated.  Pat, Marge R. and Cathy will meet to work on allocation of the golf outing funds.  Pat will contact Scott Pritchard for any suggestions from the golf outing committee.

Next meeting:   Tuesday Jan. 24, 2012, 7 pm

FINANCE - November 22, 2011

Present:  Robin Bennett, Jeff Buckshaw, Ellen Daugherty, Rich Lucas, Charles Silver

Absent:  Marcia Holcomb, Derek Redwine

OLD BUSINESS:

The committee reviewed the YTD Treasurer’s Report and Special Funds sheets:

Larry Hawkins moved to table discussion for usage of funds from the sale of the parking lot.  It was seconded by Rich Lucas and approved.

NEW BUSINESS:

Larry relayed the Personnel committee’s request for Finance committee feedback regarding staff support performance.  Feedback should be forwarded to Larry by 12/3/2011 and he will compile the feedback and send to the Personnel committee.

Larry presented a working draft of the 2012 budget spreadsheet via screen projection to enable live inputs and immediate evaluation of those inputs.  Larry noted that the Music and Worship committee budget inputs were not yet received for consideration.  Following is a summary of committee inputs to the draft budget:

INITIAL BUDGET ASSUMPTIONS:

INITIAL BUDGET RESULT: Based on initial committee budget requests, projected income, and the above assumptions, the initial budget gap is an over run of $51,530.

GAP CLOSING RECOMMENDATIONS:

Adjustments must be completed before a draft 2012 budget is presented to session.

The independent review of our Agreed Upon Procedures (AUP) was presented by Jeff.  Going forward, Jeff will be the contact person between the independent reviewer (Crum) and the church. Jeff recommended that going forward the committee should request that independent review results be completed by May in order to facilitate the implementation of suggestions.  Concerns about who knows the combination to the vault were expressed.  Safeguards for the vault, safe, and locked drawer will be implemented as well as for the “bag” into which the morning offering is placed.  Robin will recommend who will be the second person to have a key to the locked drawer in her desk.  Accounting methods used by endowment trust need improvement.  The committee recommended that we work with Crum for one more year and then evaluate whether to continue his services.  The committee accepted the review results from Crum as submitted.

In conversation with First Merit Bank, Robin stated that the church could save money by using their payroll services instead of ADP.  They would do online payroll, W-2 forms, tax filing, pension deferral etc.  Jeff will investigate this further and the church will move forward based on his findings.

The committee members discussed and agreed to continue with the current meeting schedule until further notice, therefore the next finance committee meeting is scheduled for January 24, 2011 at 7 PM.

The meeting adjourned with prayer by Larry at 10:05 PM.

PROPERTIES - Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Budget status – Invoices for repairing the drain lines amounting to $4090 should have been charged to Insurance Maintenance Fund rather than Building Maintenance Expense

Thus at the end of November we should have unexpended Budget Funds remaining of $20483 with total anticipated expenses of approximately $7500 leaving a possible $12983 surplus at the end of the 2011 year. Properties Committee has been cautious to control its Expense projects due to the fact that some of the planned projects (Painting Exterior Windows and CE Building Cornices) were in excess of available Budget or Restricted Funds, and that Flooding in WYDACA caused by plugged sewer drain lines required significant effort to remediate the deficiency.

Motion Prevailed to request Session to permit the re-allocation of the Hallway and Wright Hall painting project of $4042 authorized in September from Fouse Fund to Church Maintenance Expense, thereby preserving that amount in Fouse Fund as available for 2012. This action would reduce the anticipated $12983 surplus to $8893.

Motion Prevailed to request Finance Committee and Session to allocate any unexpended 2011 Properties Budget money to a carryover Maintenance Reserve Fund, preserving that money for use in 2012.

DISCIPLESHIP - no meeting in November

WORSHIP - no minutes submitted from 11/27 meeting (see consent agenda)