Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup jelly or jam
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped salted dry-roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 8 by 8 inch baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat peanut butter, brown sugar, and butter until smooth. Scrape down bowl and add egg and vanilla; beat on low speed until smooth. Scape down bowl and add flour mixture; beat on low speed just to blend. Transfer half of dough to prepared pan (about 1 1/2 cups). Place remaining dough in freezer for 10 minutes. Use your hands to push the dough into an even layer at the bottom of the pan. Spread jelly over dough in even layer. Remove reserved dough from freezer and crumble grape-size pieces over jelly layer. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake bars until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool bars completely in pan on rack.
Yields: 16 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com