Refer to the Smashwords Style Guide (free: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52) for further formatting guidance.
- Start by formatting your document using the Basic Formatting guide found in the 'resources' section at www.twainwannabe.blogspot.com
- If you are not publishing directly to Kindle or Nook, follow instructions on the Kindle Formatting and Nook Formatting guides to check your work via mobi format and epubcheck format.
- Add a Smashwords copyright statement on the front matter page of your document:
Smashwords Edition, License Notes
This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.
- Create a Smashwords account at www.smashwords.com
- Click the ‘Publish’ link from the main menu
- Choose a price that ends in $.99. (suggest $.99 for short stories and $4.99 for novels)
- Obtain an ISBN
- Upload your file and click Publish at the bottom of the page
After you publish:
- Check your work on as many mediums as possible, or ask friends to.
- Check your Smashwords Dashboard frequently for messages regarding problems and your status for inclusion on the Premium Catalogue.
- Go to your dashboard on your smashwords.com account.
- Click on 'upload a new version'. Do not upload a new book.
- Resubmit it for premium distribution.
Fails ePub check
- Don't panic and don't follow the instructions smashwords offers, as they are very confusing (unless you are the techie type)
- Do follow their instructions to apply the 'nuclear' method to your document. This will rid your document of all errors, however, you will have to reformat the entire thing to include italics, bold, inserting pictures, etc. I suggest that as you are reformatting, you occasionally 'validate your ePub document (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/)' according to Smashwords instructions to ensure your document is staying clean along the way.
Fails inclusion to Premium Catalogue
- Usually Smashwords will provide instructions on how to remedy this. Make sure you have assigned as ISBN to your book through Smashwords (use the free option unless you already have an ISBN – do not assign an isbn used for the print version of your book, they have to be different).
- One reason I failed for one of my books is because I included the word 'kindle' in my book. Smashwords does not like references to Amazon or Kindle. However, my word was kindle – as in the fire. I e-mailed them explaining and they allowed it. Wow – thanks Smashwords.